PDA

View Full Version : Built In, Sloped Ceiling?

Scott Hildenbrand
09-22-2009, 7:03 PM
One of my project plans is to do a built in book case with angled section to the right for TV and desk area to the left (since I work from home) but what's been racking my brain is how to handle the top.

Span will be around 16' or so.. Ceiling height is 8' at the lowest point. Across the span it looses around 4".. Not a huge amount, but would be noticeable.

I won't bother with the details of why it was done that way. Just one of those quarks I said I'd live with when we decided to buy. Overall the house is charming to say the least. The additions however need attention and re-trimming to make match the rest of the house though.

So, back on subject.. What do you think would be best for a problem like above? I could build it 7' tall and trim the top. Put a few plants up there maybe.. Or I could build it to the ceiling and trim it, but that would give a clearly visible decent to the trim.

Oh yeah.. There's also a small [35w * 20h] picture window on that wall, situated 5' off the floor. I figure the desk area will be under it. Just as well since my monitors take up 35" of horizontal space.

So what do you think?

My plan is to start on this project, once I get the fireplace mantel (and possible side bookcase builtins flanking it) done.