PDA

View Full Version : My new Scorpion

Mauricio Ulloa
09-22-2009, 5:52 PM
Hi fellow woodturners!

I just got my new Scorpion. Sent directly from the seconds and blems of Don Pencil. I don't see any issues with the tool, it looks wonderful to me!!!! I can't wait to start using it ASAP, the problem is that I may not be able to do anything until next weekend..... So, there will only be time to admire it and to think about all the great days what we are going to share creating hollowing vessels at the shop.

So far I've only done bowls, pens and some other crafts. Any hollowing looks kinda intimidating. So, any advice on the proper use of the tool is very well welcomed!!!!

I'll keep you posted with the results... if they are worth it... ha ha ha! I bet that soon they will be!!!!

Take care and keep those shaves flying!

curtis rosche
09-22-2009, 6:18 PM
that is a great tool if i recall the video i saw. great score

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2009, 9:13 PM
Mauricio - congrats on your new hollowing tool! I have not used one of those - so can't offer any advice - but sure am looking forward to seeing your first hollow forms! Have fun with it - nothing to be intimidated by!

Thomas Canfield
09-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Maurico,

Congratulations. I picked up the Scorpion and Stinger seconds a couple of years ago SWAT from Don and like them. I have done a couple of hollow forms that were 11" and 12" inside dimension and that is about as far as I could ( or wanted) go. I also used the Scorpion to hollow out the inside of a open sided mesquite three trunk tree section (at 300 rpm max) and the armrest handle grip was sufficient, but the piece could only be turned and now is setting waiting on hand sanding and finishing off the lathe. You will probably be looking at the Stinger in the future for smaller openings.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Congrats on the new tool. You will enjoy doing HF's.

cliff smith
09-23-2009, 6:51 AM
been using the scorpion and stinger sets for a while now, small learninf curve, wonderful results, you will enjoy using it.