PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone been on a town planning board

Bob Weisner
09-17-2004, 1:46 PM
Hi:

Has anyone here been on a town planning board?

Thanks,

Bob

Mark Singer
09-17-2004, 2:26 PM
I served on the Design Review Board in Laguna from 1987 to 1989.

Michael Perata
09-17-2004, 4:16 PM
I've argued in front of 30+ boards.

Need more to your question.

Dave Bartley
09-17-2004, 7:45 PM
I have served on the Planning commision in the past. Served 8 years, three as chairperson. Great experiance!!

At the same time you will find out how apathetic people are. Unless it will have a direct effect on them at that time, for the most part, they will not get involved. THAT'S where the fun begins!!

Tyler Howell
09-17-2004, 8:05 PM
I have. Not enough action for me!;)

Dan Mages
09-17-2004, 8:30 PM
Heh, I wish. Unfortunatley, my city's politburo is very tightly run and it is hard to get new blood into it. :( There are several things I would like to see changed.

Dan

Earl Reid
09-17-2004, 9:12 PM
I served on the zoning board of appeals and as township trustee. we had no planning board. it was very interesting.
Earl

Bob Weisner
09-17-2004, 9:44 PM
I am presently the chairman of my local planning board. I was a planning board member for approximatley 2 years before the chairman said he was going to retire and when he did, the members all voted for me to be the new chairman. I don't think anyone wanted the job!! I really don't understand why most town planning boards are not paid even a token salary. I understand about wanting to change things. I have proposed a number of ideas to the town board that I thought would help the businesses and residents in my town. All but one of my suggestions were rejected for one reason or another. The only thing that I was able to get through was a backup electric generator for the town's waterwells. I also have found that it is very hard to get new people to join the planning board. I believe that the number one reason is because it is all volunteer. I think that the best way to change things in a town is to have term limits for elected officials.

Thanks,

Bob