PDA

View Full Version : Compressor question

matthew Roberts
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm looking for a compressor for the shop. It will be generally used to run air nailers, blow out the shop, and do some painting. I'm looking at an old ingersoll rand 2HP t-30 234. It is a two stage compressor with 8-10cfm at 100psi with a 50gallon tank. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

Karl Brogger
09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Bigger is always better when it comes to compressors. I've got a 5hp, no idea on the CFM. When I got it, (used), it was set to go to 170psi before shutting off. I dialed it back to 150psi shutoff, and it kicks on at 130psi. I've been meaning to add a regulator and set it at 120psi, the line pressure should be pretty consistant that way. Doesn't have any trouble running multiple air sanders, but it'll run non-stop with two at a time.

David Christopher
09-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I agree with Karl that bigger is better...after you get one you will find alot of uses that you never thought of

Scott T Smith
09-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm looking for a compressor for the shop. It will be generally used to run air nailers, blow out the shop, and do some painting. I'm looking at an old ingersoll rand 2HP t-30 234. It is a two stage compressor with 8-10cfm at 100psi with a 50gallon tank. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, that's a great compressor for a home shop. Unless it has many thousands of hours on it, you should get some great longevity out of it.

Give it a good tune up (oil change, new filters and belt, re-seal any leaky air fittings) when you get it and enjoy!

David Kreuzberg
09-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Please check it out carefully. A compressor with only a 50 gallon tank, 2 HP motor and those low CFM numbers cannot be a two stage, at least not by today's standards.

kreuzie

Karl Brogger
09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
If you buy a used compressor, change the oil on it right away. Also, being that they typically put the drain in the most inconvieniant spot possible, take the plug to the hardware store and get whatever you need to make an extension for it, so you can change it more easily. You'll be more inclined to change it if it isn't such a pain in the rear.

Also, put a good grade synthetic oil back in. I've sworn by Amsoil for everything but my diesel pickup for years. There actually was a noticeable difference in how loud my compressor was when I switched. It got quieter.

Gary Curtis
09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Buying a 2 stage compressor will enable you to do excellent painting. It is a bit of overkill for just a nail gun. The 2 stage arrangement significantly boost the cfm output which is needed for air tools.

I did a lot of auto restoration body work and things like an air sander would burn up a normal compressor with only one stage.

I like the tank volume (the motor won't run as long or as hard) and the hp is a little meager, but the 2-stage compressor head will compensate for that.

Gary Curtis