PDA

View Full Version : Monster Pickup Anyone??

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Check this out: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6026041/

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040917/040917_cxt_hmed_5a.hmedium.jpg

James Giordano
09-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Now that's a truck!!

Think they'll take a check?:rolleyes:

By the way Jim I checked out the Moser website and feasted mine eyes. I can see why he is so popular. Very nice.

Tyler Howell
09-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Putting my order in tomorrow!:rolleyes:

Pete Lamberty
09-17-2004, 12:08 PM
They are going to have a bit of a problem selling that truck. From what I understand it is so large that the person driving it needs to get a different drivers license to drive it. The truck is in a different class than "normal" vehicles. The company is making very sure that the dealers know this before they sell the truck to someone. It might end up being a bad marketing decision. Only time will tell. Cool truck though.

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 12:26 PM
They are going to have a bit of a problem selling that truck. From what I understand it is so large that the person driving it needs to get a different drivers license to drive it. The truck is in a different class than "normal" vehicles. The company is making very sure that the dealers know this before they sell the truck to someone. It might end up being a bad marketing decision. Only time will tell. Cool truck though.
From the MSNBC article:

"Swim said the company isn't marketing the CXT as a consumer vehicle, although he added that drivers don't need a commercial license to get behind the wheel."

John Miliunas
09-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Aw heck! It's only $115K (with the nice options!), but I'm outta' luck; I wouldn't have enough clearance to get it in my garage. :( Oh well, guess my old '92 S-10 will still continue to do the lumber runs. :cool:

Pete Lamberty
09-17-2004, 2:04 PM
Hey John, I think that this is a perfect excuse to build a new garage. Then you could turn the old garage into a shop. I am ashamed of you John, I was sure that you would have thought of that. :D

Hi Jim, Please check your personal message. Pete

Is a commercial license the next step up from a "normal" license? Maybe one doesn't need a commercial license to drive this truck but they do need a "different" license than what most of us already have. Hmmm...
Does anyone know how these different states decide which license one needs to drive a certain vehicle? I thought that it had to do with the weight of the vehicle. Is that right? How much does this truck weight?

Matt Meiser
09-17-2004, 2:06 PM
Just the other day my wife was telling me that she saw someone who put a pickup bed on a semi. I guess this is what she saw.

I wonder what kind of mileage it gets? Can you imagine showing up to work at the office in this?

Lee Schierer
09-17-2004, 2:34 PM
Does anyone know how these different states decide which license one needs to drive a certain vehicle? I thought that it had to do with the weight of the vehicle.

Here are the rules in PA and I think they are the same from state to to state.
WHAT IS THE COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986 (CMVSA/86)?

It is a law passed by the United States Congress which requires ALL the individual states to comply with certain standards in regards to the licensing of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers. Pennsylvania driver licensing standards comply with the law, requiring CMV drivers to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) when driving applicable vehicles. A CDL license can ONLY be issued in the driver's STATE OF LEGAL RESIDENCE, and if you have a CDL, you can have NO OTHER DRIVER'S LICENSE in ANY other state.

WHEN DO I NEED A CDL INSTEAD OF MY REGULAR PENNSYLVANIA DRIVERS LICENSE?

A CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .

* A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
* A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
* A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the operator) or any vehicle carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
* A vehicle of any size that carries hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

Lee

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 2:42 PM
How much does this truck weight?From the article:

"International Truck and Engine Corp. is producing what it calls the world's biggest production pickup, a 14,500-pound monster capable of towing 20 tons."

Sounds like the licensing may hinge on use in this case based on what Lee posted...largely towing, in other words, as I don't think anyone will buy it to transport school children! (although it would be a kewel ride to school...:rolleyes: )

One can only hope that will be clarified by the manufacturer/dealers and in an update to the article if it's incorrect about not needing anything special to just get behind the wheel.

More information at the International Site:

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/severe/cxt.asp

In the specs it's listed with a GVWR of 25,999 lbs with a note that a non-commercial license applies...by a pound. Sheesh!!

Michael Perata
09-17-2004, 2:53 PM
They are intending to build 50 next year.

Back when I was a well-off real estate developer (sigh!) I would have thought about buying one to tow my 10,000# Grady White.

Imagine showing up at the Santa Cruz launch ramp with that rig!!!

JayStPeter
09-17-2004, 3:37 PM
It didn't mention how many cupholders it had :confused:

Isn't that the basis that most people use to make their vehicle purchases. :D

My F150 is seeming a little small lately.

Jay

Ken Garlock
09-17-2004, 4:08 PM
This beast was on the 5 PM news in Dallas yesterday, since it is made in Garland. The interior looks like it came out of a Cadillac. The truck bed works like a dump truck. I think they said it has a one ton bed which didn't seem like much for the size of it. Since the rear vision is not good up close, there is a TV camera on/in the tail gate and a screen for the driver. The reporter said the price was 90K, most likely without all the bells and whistles, and that 35 of them had been ordered.

You need an elevator to get in it :D

Ned Bulken
09-17-2004, 4:18 PM
I saw that, looks pretty nice, except for the price tag, you can buy a class 8 tractor for about $75k, and I bet you could mount a pick up bed on one of those for less than 20 grand. That being said, pretty cool idea from a manufacturer.

As for the license issue, it would be the same as a Ryder truck, <26,000 lbs for the GVWR.

Me, I'd go get a freightliner medium duty and slap a bed on the back, and save about $40,0000. But I've Got my CDL-A so Driving something that small would be easy. :D

that or get one of these instead:
http://www.crewchief.com/Run.jpg

called the runabout, from crew chief:

or for a real bunch of fun:
http://www.crewchief.com/cchero.jpg

check them out at www.crewchief.com (http://www.crewchief.com)

c'mon lottery!!

I bet the pickups get better than 7mpg, they should get in the mid teens. heck, the company I work for's fleet average is 7mpg with full Semi's.

Rob Russell
09-17-2004, 5:37 PM
I saw an article on it too. Apparently it's targetted at commercial landscapers and the like who want to impress when they show up.

I can't get my wife to drive our pickup (Dodge Quad Cab w/ 8' bed). Imagine trying to even suggest she drive one of those! :eek:

Joe Mioux
09-17-2004, 10:37 PM
That thing looks sort of like a Hummer on steroids