PDA

View Full Version : need outdoor heater

Rick Moyer
09-21-2009, 7:32 PM
My wife likes to sit outside on our screened-in porch and watch tv, read, etc. Now that it will start getting cooler, she asked about putting some heater out there for her. Anybody have any recommendations?

The porch has carpeting and about a seven foot ceiling (plywood over 2x6's). There is one outlet (tv) that I'm not sure of the circuit amperage or what else is on it right now.

Wondering about the relative costs/btu of various heaters, what type I should consider: electric, propane, or what else?

Thanks for your thoughts. btw, her birthday is this coming Sunday so I need answers soon!

Brad Wood
09-21-2009, 7:46 PM
Sort of depends on how much you want to spend. I've heard a lot of good things about "ventless propane heaters" (google that), but the better ones require installation on the wall and a larger tank outside.
The fact that you say "screened porch" and live in PA, sort of suggests no matter what you do, you are in a losing battle, no?
I've always like the oil filled radiator looking thing that most BORG's and other places (like Wal Mart) carry, but I don't think they would be able to keep up with the screens. You probably want to look for something that will project towards where she is sitting, so, standard electric coil with a fan? ... available everywhere.

Perhaps a really nice binky?

Ron Jones near Indy
09-21-2009, 9:04 PM
How about an electric radiant heater suspended from the ceiling? Feels like Florida sunshine in cool weather. I believe Lee Valley has one that might work--$50 to $70 dollar range IIRC. I have a natural gas radiant heater in my shop that works great. Works on same principle. This one is thermostatically controlled--$350 IIRC, had it a few years, might be higher.

Rick Moyer
09-22-2009, 5:04 AM
Good points. Radiant may be the best way to go as we wouldn't need to be heating the whole area. This would be an occasional use for a few hours at a time, or less. Yes, 'screened-in and PA' will be counter-productive, so I'm looking at ease of use, reasonable operating costs, etc.

Is electric or propane more cost effective per BTU, or are they likely to be close? I was looking at this one: http://www.patioheaterstore.com/tabletop-patio-heaters/propane/hinsdaletabletoppatioheater.cfm#tabs
or maybe an electric radiant.

Bonnie Campbell
09-22-2009, 7:13 AM
Might sound dumb, but we just used a heat lamp in our hot tub gazebo. Granted the hot tub itself helped heating, but the lamp made a big difference too. Just aim it where you want the heat.

Scott T Smith
09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I had ceiling mounted electric radiant heat in an old shop, and they worked very well. Great heat aimed at where you were working, and low noise. The only drawback for you is that the larger heaters are 240V, and you only have 120V available (unless you're willing to run additional wiring).

My brother has a floor mount propane unit on his back deck, similar to that table top unit that you posted. It works well, but you still need to be bundled up as the heat is not as concentrated as the electric.

Al Willits
09-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd go with some sort of radiant heater, they usually heat objects (like you) versus the others that tend to heat the air also.

Elect might be the easiest, but even a sunflower style one would probably work, but you get to deal with a propane tank then.

Al

Rick Moyer
09-24-2009, 5:10 PM
Well, despite my thinking that an electric radiant might be the better option, I ordered the one in the above link, this morning. Mainly because that's the one the wife liked the look of, over any others I showed her.
After all, it is for her!

Jason Beam
09-24-2009, 5:38 PM
Anything you do is throwing heat to the wind. Radiant will take awhile to feel warm enough - especially when it's below freezing out there.

I say an electric blanket is about all I'd do unless you're willing to at least seal off the airflow and put some insulation of some kind up.

It's a losing battle otherwise, IMHO :)

Rick Moyer
09-24-2009, 7:21 PM
This would be an occasional use for a few hours at a time, or less. Yes, 'screened-in and PA' will be counter-productive, so I'm looking at ease of use, reasonable operating costs, etc.

Anything you do is throwing heat to the wind. Radiant will take awhile to feel warm enough - especially when it's below freezing out there.

I say an electric blanket is about all I'd do unless you're willing to at least seal off the airflow and put some insulation of some kind up.

It's a losing battle otherwise, IMHO :)

I understand the "losing battle", but not as much of a losing battle as telling the Mrs. that it's a dumb idea!:D

Jason Beam
09-24-2009, 7:25 PM
I understand the "losing battle", but not as much of a losing battle as telling the Mrs. that it's a dumb idea!:D

LOL!

Touche!! :D:D:D

kenmiller saas
09-25-2009, 2:44 AM
My wife likes to sit outside on our screened-in porch and watch tv, read, etc. Now that it will start getting cooler, she asked about putting some heater out there for her. Anybody have any recommendations?

The porch has carpeting and about a seven foot ceiling (plywood over 2x6's). There is one outlet (tv) that I'm not sure of the circuit amperage or what else is on it right now.

Wondering about the relative costs/btu of various heaters, what type I should consider: electric, propane, or what else?

Thanks for your thoughts. btw, her birthday is this coming Sunday so I need answers soon!

Go for electric. But How much you pay for it? It little bit cost...

Harlan Coverdale
09-25-2009, 6:53 AM
How about a tabletop radiant propane heater:

http://www.patioheaterstore.com/tabletop-patio-heaters/408+3202.cfm

Paul Atkins
09-27-2009, 3:06 AM
Wool socks.

Rick Moyer
09-27-2009, 9:36 AM
How about a tabletop radiant propane heater:

http://www.patioheaterstore.com/tabletop-patio-heaters/408+3202.cfm

Well, despite my thinking that an electric radiant might be the better option, I ordered the one in the above link, this morning. Mainly because that's the one the wife liked the look of, over any others I showed her.
After all, it is for her!

This has been resolved, at least for now.