PDA

View Full Version : Stencil Designs from Dover Publishing

Roger McDowell
09-21-2009, 3:22 PM
I purchased a book of Stencil Designs on CD-ROM from Dover Publishing specifically to import into Corel and cut out with my laser. The files come in several formats including EPS. The images look a little grainy and when I import the EPS file it won't allow me to ungroup the image or add an outline. If I try to trace the image it tells me I have to convert it to a bitmap first. What am I doing wrong?

Brian Robison
09-21-2009, 4:26 PM
Are you importing as (PS,PRN,EPS PostScript Interpreted)"?

Dave Lock
09-21-2009, 4:31 PM
I have a few of these from Dover.

Unless is state 'vector' format I think you will find the images are bitmaps rather than vectors.

Have a look at the image in wireframe view, you'll tell straight away.

Roger McDowell
09-21-2009, 4:52 PM
Yes, I importing using PS,PRN,EPS PostScript Interpreted format.

And, it won't show you anything in wireframe view. But, if it's a bitmap why doesn't it let me trace it?

Steve Clarkson
09-21-2009, 5:47 PM
Try to ungroup......delete the frame and you should be left with just the bitmap.

Frank Corker
09-21-2009, 6:42 PM
A lot of the Dover stuff, although really nice, is not eps format. Import the pieces and use the trace feature to get a useable graphic.

Roger McDowell
09-22-2009, 4:51 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I guess EPS doesn't always mean vector format.

Bill Cunningham
09-22-2009, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I guess EPS doesn't always mean vector format.

Yup.. Some of the worst graphics I have ever been sent were in .eps bitmap.. Most customers that send you a .eps file, have no idea what a .eps vector is, and what you get is rarely usable as is

Joe Pelonio
09-22-2009, 10:55 PM
If you read the fine print Dover clipart is copyrighted and for personal use. In order to use it commercially you need their written permission ( I have it) and they limit the number of items you can make and sell with each design.

They don't mention this in their advertising but it is in the fine print when you buy the book/CD.