PDA

View Full Version : G0513X Lower Guide Fix

glenn bradley
09-21-2009, 3:22 PM
More an enhancement than a fix. There are so many G0513-whatever owners out there I wanted to share this. I am not one to stick a "Do-It-All" blade on my saw and hope for the best.

This means I change blades whenever it suits the job. At this point this only takes me a few minutes. I am always looking for something to ease such activities so that they can be done even easier.

My t-handle hex wrench can do everything during a blade change except deal with the lower left guide bearing set screw.

Although it is already installed in the previous pic, I put one of these on the set screw.

I can now easily tighten this enough by hand and no longer need to keep an additional wrench handy.

Michael Heffernan
09-21-2009, 3:47 PM
Glenn,

Great fix! I have the G0514X2, which has the same problem with the lower left guide bearing. I was thinking of replacing that set screw with a hex bolt and using a ratchet wrench to loosen/tighten when setting the guides.
Question: do you get enough torque with the handle to tighten the set screw sufficiently? Your fix is definitely an improvement to fussing with the supplied allen wrench, trying to tighten that screw.

Dave Lehnert
09-21-2009, 3:49 PM
Where did you get them from and what size are they?

glenn bradley
09-21-2009, 4:39 PM
Question: do you get enough torque with the handle to tighten the set screw sufficiently?

I just did a resaw on a bunch of 7" BE Maple. I checked the tightness after every couple boards. Still tight. The screw holds the eccentric bearing post from rotating so I don't know that there is a terrible amount of stress put on this during operation. So far, so good.

Where did you get them from and what size are they?

I got these from a forum member (here?) who had bought a quantity and offered them to members for cost and postage. They are 1/4" sized and were used by the OP and myself to make adjusting our Incra miter gauges a little more elegant (read no hex wrench required).

The fit was quite tight and I believe the appropriate metric size may slip on better. I knew I would get asked but cannot remember or find a trail as to the guys name. Maybe he'll read this and chime in. I believe he got them at McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screw-knobs/=3qckyy). Hmmm, I notice the size offerings are limited. I was able to get the 1/4" ones on by using a couple blocks of wood in my bench vise (and a delicate touch).