PDA

View Full Version : Residential water line cut-off using solenoid valve

Frank Martin
09-21-2009, 1:49 PM
I remember reading here a great idea several weeks ago but my search to find the thread has been fruitless.

The idea is to install a solenoid valve with a switch (near the entry door) to cut-off residential water line to prevent water damage when the house in unocccupied.

Would appreciate your input in pointing out the thread.

Thanks!

Jerry Bruette
09-21-2009, 7:53 PM
Frank

My experience with solenoid valves would lead me to advise you to use a manually operated ball valve. I deal with solenoid valves every day at work and I've seen them fail for many different reasons. Some being, dirt in valve, bad diaphram,and of course a power failure.

Whenever I leave the house for an extended vacation I shut off the breaker for my water pump. If that wasn't an option I'd install a ball valve and shut it of. It's fast and easy.

Jerry

David G Baker
09-21-2009, 7:56 PM
I did not see the thread and I have never thought about it but I don't see that it would be much of a problem. I use timed shut off valves to control the watering of my potted plants so installing a on and off switch would be even simpler. You may want to go low voltage on the valve.
I ran motion picture labs at one time and all of my water supplies were controlled by solenoid valves and I never had a problem in the 15 years I worked with them. These valves were high voltage (120 volts) and they were made by Watts (not sure of the spelling). Do a Google and see if there is something that will work for you. The largest valve was made for 3/4" pipe but I am sure you can get larger if you need to. You may also need a pressure regulator but I am not sure.

Ronald Mancini
09-21-2009, 7:56 PM
Good advice. A shutoff valve is the easiest, cheapest and most dependable way to prevent water problems. I don't shut the pump off at the breaker because there are other things I want water for when I am gone---like the dog.

Dan Friedrichs
09-21-2009, 9:04 PM
A house across the street from me had a cheap plastic washer hook-up hose burst (not freeze, just break). $50k of damage in one afternoon. They had to tear out all the main level ceilings, drywall, and 4' of the drywall upstairs. So I've been thinking about this solenoid idea, too. I just don't trust plastic tubing, press-and-fit PEX connectors, etc. What I'd like to do, though, is place water sensors at strategic locations around the house (under washing machine, under sink, under dishwasher), and if they sense water present, close the solenoid valve on the main supply.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
We had friends go through that - over $40K in damage from a burst rubber washer hose. I recommend replacing them with braided stainless lines no matter what.

for the shutoff - we have a regular ball valve just on our side of our (municipal) water meter, and I'll turn the water off even if we're going away just overnight.

Dave Wagner
09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
We have a 1/4 turn ball valve right before and after the water meter, just a quick throw.

I also installed the Flood Stop for the washer being on the 2nd floor
it senses water on the floor and will shut off the water, it also uses solinoids, but they are normally close with no power, so if you loose power, there shouldn't be any flow.
if the hose were to break.
http://www.rewci.com/floodstopsystems.html

Peter Stahl
09-22-2009, 5:31 PM
Go to the Terry Love Plumbing forum and ask a question there. Lots of plumbers on that site. You could also go to your local supply house and ask them if they have anything like what you're looking for. I wouldn't think it would be much different then a sprinkler system solenoid valve. Mine are buried in the yard and they've been working for years. Look at the link Dave Wagner has in his post, info on them there. My wife's cousin had a toilet overflow and flooded her house when they went away for the weekend.

Mike Cutler
09-22-2009, 7:58 PM
Frank

I would put in a manual isolation valve. If you have a well pump, another option is to set a low pressure, manual reset switch in series with the pump pressure control switch. In the event of low pressure ( below the low pressure cutin point the water pump would turn off.

For the folks that have seen the damage caused by over flowing laundry appliances, You may want to investigate putting the machine in a laundry pan.
My second floor laundry has the washer and dryer set on a pedestal with 2, 1 1/2" drains that go to a false gutter outside. In the event of a laundry hose/washer failure, the water goes out the house. My well pump is also set up as explained above.

Mike Cutler
09-22-2009, 8:00 PM
What I'd like to do, though, is place water sensors at strategic locations around the house (under washing machine, under sink, under dishwasher), and if they sense water present, close the solenoid valve on the main supply.

Dan
I would look at excess flow check valves for the lines. There are sensors that do what you want, but they would be pretty expensive to install.