PDA

View Full Version : Finished my workbench

RickT Harding
09-21-2009, 9:51 AM
I've been saying I was going to build a hand tool woodworking bench for over a year and once I got into it, I hammered it out in a couple of weeks.

It's a mix of designs and hopefully it'll feed my hand tool use some more.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8YQqLnYnmJ8/SreBaGk9lyI/AAAAAAAA3mA/fsij4mgWDvU/s400/IMG_2350.JPG

It's all ash except for the leg vise which is some walnut I had on hand. I bought the ash in 12/4 for my birthday to myself back in Feb. I had to get some extra to do the large front apron.

It was my first ash work and I really liked working with it.

For all of the build pictures you can check out the gallery here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/deuce868/Workbench?feat=directlink

There's lots of power tool use and lots of hand tool use so it's a mix.

Now to get back to work on my entertainment center. :D

Don Bullock
09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Rick, congratulations on the workbench. It looks great. I like working with ash as well and think it's a good choice for a workbench.

Darrell Bottoms
09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Beautiful:D

Matt Meiser
09-21-2009, 1:16 PM
Looks great Rick.

But now you don't have an excuse for not getting back to SWMBO's list. :eek:

Doug Shepard
09-21-2009, 1:48 PM
Clarkston! Shoot - I may have to put this on my Local Things To See & Do List. That's a sweet looking bench.

RickT Harding
09-21-2009, 1:52 PM
Clarkston! Shoot - I may have to put this on my Local Things To See & Do List. That's a sweet looking bench.

Hah, not sure on that front. I have thought it would be cool to do some gatherings for some of us out east. I get out to SEMIWW as much as I can, but I now most local guys don't make the trek out that far.

Doug Shepard
09-21-2009, 2:11 PM
Keep your eyes open for the next affair that Performance Tool (Pontiac) puts on. They seem to be doing this yearly now and it seems to be turning into a good mini-meet opportunity for some of the local Creekers.

John Thompson
09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Nice bench which should serve you well....

RickT Harding
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I spent some quality time on the bench the other night to fit a door in my entertainment center and WOW, I never realized how awesome holdfasts were. I was floored to be able to just tap and go as I smoothed the surface and worked the edges. :D

Jerry Olexa
09-26-2009, 1:39 PM
Nice works...On to your next project..