PDA

View Full Version : original vari-grind vs vari-grind 2

Paul Coffin
09-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi All,

I am a turning newbie who is definitely caught up in the tool spending vortex. I have purchased the wolverine grinding jig and the woodcraft slow speed grinder. I am now looking at the vari-grind or vari-grind 2 gouge sharpening jigs. Has anyone out there used both? If so which did you like? Any help in selecting the best option for a novice is appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

PS: I took my first turning class yesterday and made a couple of tool handles. Mainly trying to learn enough so that I do hurt myself. I plan on taking a beginners bowl turing class soon.

Chris Stolicky
09-21-2009, 9:06 AM
Hi All,

I am a turning newbie who is definitely caught up in the tool spending vortex. I have purchased the wolverine grinding jig and the woodcraft slow speed grinder. I am now looking at the vari-grind or vari-grind 2 gouge sharpening jigs. Has anyone out there used both? If so which did you like? Any help in selecting the best option for a novice is appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

PS: I took my first turning class yesterday and made a couple of tool handles. Mainly trying to learn enough so that I do hurt myself. I plan on taking a beginners bowl turing class soon.

I have used both and prefer the vari-grind better. I feel like it allowed me to put less pressure (leverage) on the cutting tool. The vari-grind 2, in my experience, created more of a levered effect that promoted pushing the tool into the grinding wheel if you weren't careful. Remember, the thing about sharpening is that it is all about the 'light tough'. Otherwise, you are shaping and loosing good metal.

Now, with that said, once you get the vari-grind 2 set up, it does take a little bit of the thinking out of the process, and you can still put a good edge on a tool.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2009, 5:37 PM
I also like the original better after using both.