PDA

View Full Version : Roo Glue For Plastic Laminate to Wood

David Perata
09-20-2009, 8:45 PM
I'm gluing up a pyramid type set of steps for a piece of furniture I'm making. The pieces are no wider than 6". I've ordered some Roo glue for melamine as that what was recommended for plastic laminate to wood. I'm shooting 18 gauge brads into each step and the glue is mainly for added stability.

So the Roo glue should work well???

Dan Mitchell
09-20-2009, 9:30 PM
I can tell you I've had good luck with it for gluing melamine drawer sides to particle board edges in some kitchen cabinet repairs. The stuff seems so innocuous (no coma-inducing fumes, etc.) you doubt it could do the trick, but it seems to.

Post a pic of your project when its done, sounds intriguing.

Dan

Jamie Buxton
09-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Y'know what works well for bonding Formica to wood? Good ol' yellow glue! I don't know why this works -- yellow glue doesn't bond to the front face of formica. But it sticks quite well to the back face.

Dan Mitchell
09-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Y'know what works well for bonding Formica to wood? Good ol' yellow glue! I don't know why this works -- yellow glue doesn't bond to the front face of formica. But it sticks quite well to the back face.

Since the OP asked about Roo Glue, rather than contact cement, I assumed he meant gluing to the front of laminate/melamine. Maybe not though.

David Perata
09-21-2009, 4:10 PM
Yes, gluing the glossy side of laminate to wood. I've got the glue and I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Larry Edgerton
09-21-2009, 4:33 PM
That is exactly what the glue is designed to do and does it as well as anything.

I also use Roo Glue when I have to prefinish something that has to be glued as yellow glue will not bond to a finished surface, but Roo Glue will. I also like that it does not run, and can even be used upside down.

Clean your splatters up right away with water as after just a short time it is terrible to get off. Alcohol I believe is a solvent for it in its dried state, so if you miss some it can be cleaned.

Brian Walter
09-21-2009, 5:15 PM
I've tried finding Roo Glue before but didn't have any luck. Would you mind sharing where you were able to purchase it?

Brian Walter

David Perata
09-21-2009, 9:47 PM
You can order from them on line but I ordered mine from O'Harco here in Des Moines and Omaha. They are a distributor of a lot of products for wood workers and the professional trades.

But if you Google Roo glue I think you'll find some other places as well.

Curt Harms
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I've used it for wood-to-wood, wood-to-metal, vinyl-to-wood and vinyl-to-metal. Long open time, some water resistance, easy clean up, long clamp time. WoodCraft used to carry it but since Titebond came out with a melamine glue I haven't seen it at the local Woodcraft. I don't know if Titebond melamine glue is the same or not; it might be very close. If you go to Rooglue.com and click on the distributor tab, you might have some luck finding it. Roo seems to cater to the professional customers. If you do buy it, squeeze as much air out of the partially empty bottle before closing it up. That'll help with shelf life.

Sean Nagle
09-22-2009, 9:34 PM
What is the shelf life of Roo Glue?

Fred Foss
10-14-2009, 4:56 PM
What is the shelf life of Roo Glue?

I asked the same question
We guarantee for one year but if you mix it and try it on a test strip
and it works then it should be OK. We do sell in quarts, pints, gallons,
5 gallon pails, 20 gallon drums, and 55 gallon drums.

-----Original Message-----

To: info@rooglue.com
Subject: RooClear Questions

What is the shelf life of RooClear? Is it available in quarts??

Sean Nagle
10-14-2009, 6:08 PM
Thanks for sharing their response.