PDA

View Full Version : Non Glare Acrylic Sticker Shock

Joe Pelonio
09-20-2009, 6:53 PM
I was going to try and get a jump start on a job that required a little more 1/8" non glare clear than I have, so thought I'd run into town to see if I could find it. My usual suppliers are closed on weekends. The borgs only had regular clear (and were a little higher on that than I'm used to paying).

So, I remembered that there was nearby an "art & frame" chain store and a popular craft store that does framing. Guess what, my choice was either $33/SF or $36/sf. I asked both places why they charge about 6-7 times as much as my usual suppliers, the answer was that it's treated to protect your art from UV rays.

I'll wait and pick it up on the way home one day next week. Indoor directory signs don't need UV protection, and won't get it at that price.

Dan Hintz
09-20-2009, 8:52 PM
I asked both places why they charge about 6-7 times as much as my usual suppliers, the answer was that it's treated to protect your art from UV rays.
Because they can? Because their customers don't know any better? Because their customers are willing to pay that much more for the convenience of having to track down a similar plastic supplier themselves?

Doug Griffith
09-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm guessing the high price is because they sell to unknowing end-users. I'm also going to guess it's extruded which means it should be cheaper than if it was cast. Also, to add UV inhibitors to acrylic sheet in large quantities would only add pennies per square foot and not equal 6-7 times your typical wholesale. In a nutshell, I agree with Dan: because they can.

Scott Challoner
09-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I see Krylon makes a clear UV matte spray. I was thinking you could spray it on plain extruded acrylic. I haven't seen it locally or I would have tried it. Just a thought.

Joe Pelonio
09-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I see Krylon makes a clear UV matte spray. I was thinking you could spray it on plain extruded acrylic. I haven't seen it locally or I would have tried it. Just a thought.
I have some, it's decent stuff, but won't work for this job as I'm matching the existing signs that I have made over the years at this location. The matte finish is nice but not exactly the same as matte acrylic's finish.