PDA

View Full Version : Norm's Router Table

Scott C. Williams
09-20-2009, 5:58 PM
I have Norm's router table built to the point of cutting the access for the router mounting plate in the table top. The instructions locate the plate center 9.25 inches from the front. The top is 26 X 36 overall. My question is why mount the router so close to the front? Why not mount it further back and make more use of the table for work support?

I maybe missing something, so for those who have built this table I would appreciate feedback whether you followed directions or placed the mounting plate more towards the rear of the table.

Clay Crocker
09-20-2009, 7:08 PM
Most operations on a router table involve edge routing of relatively narrow pieces as opposed to wide pieces that require more table surface. If you need to route a wider piece you can turn the entire table 180 degrees, flip the fence around so that it is sitting on the narrow side of the router, and then you have an extra wide support surface for your work piece. My 2 cents.

Clay

Randy Walker
09-20-2009, 9:49 PM
Hi Scott
I built a router table similar to Norms a couple of years before Norm built his. Even before it was originaly published in American Woodworker. I did set my router further back and wish that I had given myself even more space in front of the bit. There have been occasions with large pannels that even more room at the front of the bit would have been helpfull. So my answer to your question is that, by all means use some of that unused space behind the fence. Give yourself more room in front of the bit.
I also did a few other things you might be interested in. I hinged the table at the back so I could lift it to get to the router and bit without bending over, my table is nearly 4ft long, I added a work light, and dust collection. Here are a couple of pic's of my table.

Best wishes

Randy Walkerhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jim Mackell
09-21-2009, 3:53 PM
Nice design Randy, wish I had hinged the top also. Next time. Scott, I used Norm's design when I made my table and moved the router back as you are thinking. Works great, lets me safely handle larger work pieces and lets me use the table as an extra work surface with the router dropped down. Have fun and be careful!

Jay Yoder
09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
This may be a strange question, but how far back can the router be moved rearward from the plans? If moved too far rearward wouldn't the risk of the router and lift (if used) having clearance issues?

Chris Ricker
09-21-2009, 10:31 PM
per Randy- "hinged top"- BRILLIANT!!
wish I would have thought of that.

It never hurts to have more workable surface area in front of the router.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-22-2009, 7:16 AM
If you move the router too far back, you will limit the distance between the work piece edge and the dado groove when making grooves or slots in panels. However, as suggested above, you can always turn the table around and use a temporary fence clamped to the table.

My table has an 11 3/4" table distance in front of the bit, and it seems to be fine for operations like raising panels. As per the drawing shown below, I'm able to make grooves about 8" in from the panel's edge.

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Presentation2-3.jpg