PDA

View Full Version : Cheap blade havoc with new saw

Richard Gibson
09-20-2009, 4:36 PM
I just got a new Sawstop and was using it for the first time today. I needed to rip some scrap plywood for a project so I bought a cheap blade at the Borg. Well... at about the 3 or forth cut the blade started to bind wood started to burn. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I cut about 3 more pieces and stopped midway thru one it was so bad. Well the blade had warped and was cutting into the table insert. (The zero-clearance insert is no longer zero clearance.)

I let the blade cool and I put the 40 tooth Sawstop blade on it. It is cutting like butter now.

I have learned my lesson. Even for a quick job, don't use cheap blades.:eek:

glenn bradley
09-20-2009, 10:30 PM
A lesson hard learned but it will stick. Sorry for your trouble. Making your own inserts is a good thing anyway.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
How cheap is cheap? Inquiring mind which blade caused so many woes.

Matt Armstrong
09-21-2009, 1:00 AM
I agree w/ Scott - even "cheap" blades will tend to cut, although the cut may look questionable. Did you buy that 200-tooth oldham "plywood" blade?

Richard Gibson
09-21-2009, 7:21 AM
Irwin 180 tooth plywood blade

Danny Burns
09-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Also just remember that even the most expensive blade has trouble cutting when it's put on backwards.:rolleyes:

Richard M. Wolfe
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I've bought any number of the cheap plywood blades in the past. You never know. I've had them last almost like expensive carbide tipped blades and also took them off and threw them away before making a cut becasue the vibration was so bad. For the inital cost I could afford to do that. Buy a more expensive blade for a lot better shot at a good cut.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I checked Amazon's customer reviews on it and the consensus is that it sucks.. ;)

Matt Armstrong
09-21-2009, 7:35 PM
Irwin 180 tooth plywood blade

that's an awful lot of teeth...

george wilson
09-21-2009, 8:06 PM
We made a table insert for our Saw Stop at work. The Saw Stop table inserts are not as easy to make as regular inserts. I don't remember what all we did,but I think it is just easier to buy those inserts for the time they take to make.