PDA

View Full Version : delta tablesaw

cody michael
09-20-2009, 4:20 PM
i'm in the market for a new tablesaw. i found a delta contractor 2000 series for sale down my road he is asking 325. looks to be in pretty good shape just top of saw a little dirty/rusty. is that a good deal on a good saw?
it has a 1.5/2 hp motor. and a the belt isn't a normal rubber belt i think it may be a "link" belt.

mickey cassiba
09-20-2009, 6:26 PM
Excellent saw...last of the Tupelos. Price, I'm not sure of, but probably depends on accessories. My -441B is the same but came with stamped steel extensions, cuts like a hot knife through butter and easily adjustable.

cody michael
09-20-2009, 8:55 PM
i bought it. it seems to run real nice and be in good shape. it included the delta brand rolly stand? that is awesome in my little shop. can move it one handed then move lever it is nice and stable.

is their anything i can do to clean up the table? it looks real dirty and a little rusty. if i lightly sand then spray some of the dry lube oil on it will it help it and not hurt anything?

Mike Cruz
09-20-2009, 9:34 PM
Lots of threads and posts on here already about that, do a little research and you can read for some time about ALL the different methods. There are specific products you can buy to get the rust off, or you can use elbow grease. My method? Sand with a ROS with 120, then go finer. Clean off all the rust. Put a couple of coats of Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax on it (one coat at a time, of course). My method should take you about an hour. Take your time. Don't try to do it all in 10 minutes. Again, search through the forum and you will find a million methods. Good luck.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2009, 9:59 PM
I personally would not sand the top. They go through great lengths to make it flat. Sanding it MAY make it no longer flat.
Do a search, and there's many ways. I like the Barkeeper's Friend powder and WD-40 or similar and use some elbow grease with a scotch brite white pad. This will take longer than a couple hours, but SHOULD not take your table out of flatness. I got BKF at the local BORG, next to the other cleansers. 2 bucks or so.

Just my .02.

Heather Thompson
09-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I personally would not sand the top. They go through great lengths to make it flat. Sanding it MAY make it no longer flat.
Do a search, and there's many ways. I like the Barkeeper's Friend powder and WD-40 or similar and use some elbow grease with a scotch brite white pad. This will take longer than a couple hours, but SHOULD not take your table out of flatness. I got BKF at the local BORG, next to the other cleansers. 2 bucks or so.

Just my .02.

What Kyle Said,

+1

Heather

scott spencer
09-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Cody - A little WD-40 and a Scotch Brite pad under your palm sander works well for light rust and grime. Very fine grit sandpaper will be fine too...you'd have to do a lot of sanding to significantly altar the flatness. It'll take plenty of wiping and respraying with WD-40.

If the rust is heavy, you can also use phosporic acid as a rust remover. It's available as Krud Kutter, Boeshield Rust Remover, and others. Note that it's more likely to discolor the surface a little. You'll want gloves and good ventilation if you need to go to this level.

Good luck and congrats on your new saw.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Barkeeper's friend and a scotch pad. I had an old sander I strapped the pad to and then went to town with a wee lil' bit of water and the barkeeper's friend. Just enough to make it a light paste.

Took off all the rust and gunk on my old Craftsman jointer and left a nice finish. Then just wiped it down and cleaned any residue before sealing.

cody michael
09-21-2009, 7:23 AM
okay thanks. i'll have to try those ideas when i get home from work

Mike Cruz
09-21-2009, 9:07 AM
Yeah, I have to admit, I was concerned the first time I did it. Then realized how long I had to hold the sander in a particular spot to make a difference. With 120/150, I don't know that I could get it out of flat even if I wanted to... UNLESS you dip the edges...DON'T do that! Keep the sander flat.

But again, if you are unsure if you have the patience to not tip the sander, then check out the other methods.

keith jensen
09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I bought a 2000 series contractors saw a few months back. It was listed for $250 on CL. Has the cast left wing and the unifence. Needed some tightening up but that was about it. Didn't have the mobile base though which would have been nice to have. So far it is really a great saw.