PDA

View Full Version : ? on grizzly cab saw Dick, Terry, Anyone

Jim Ketron
09-16-2004, 9:14 PM
I've looked at the saws at Grizzly and Here are the two I may get G1023SL or G1023Z. on the website they have the top mesurments the is SL 40 1/8"x 27" and the Z is 36 3/4"X 27"
My Q is that the mesurements of the cast iron or the rails? I plan on adding ext. tables on the rails
Any comments on either saw?
Thanks Jim

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-16-2004, 9:25 PM
Jim, I have the 1023S and the cast top measurement is 40 1/8" x 27". I would imagine the measurements quoted by Griz are the actual cast top measurements. Just for the record, I LOVE my saw..............money well spent, although I haven't used it much, but that is going to change here shortly.

JayStPeter
09-16-2004, 9:25 PM
Do you realize you're comparing a left-tilt in the 1023SL with a right-tilt in the 1023Z?
My guess with table width is that the left and right tilt tops are a couple inches different.
The other major difference is the fence. The Z has the shop fox fence that locks both front and back. It seems like people either love or hate it. The fence on the S models is the shop fox classic that is a Biesmeyer clone. People that take the time to shim the faces of it tend to like it. I have used one and have to say that I like it as well as the Bies I have. Not quite as beefy, but definitely not wimpy.

Jay St. Peter

Jim Ketron
09-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Do you realize you're comparing a left-tilt in the 1023SL with a right-tilt in the 1023Z?

Jay St. Peter
Yes
I need to make up my mind any pros/ cons from R OR L
Jim

Cecil Arnold
09-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Left or right? You like Fords or Chevrolets?

Jim Ketron
09-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Ford's :D The saw I have now is a Craftsman
I want to start building cabinets and this saw is, well you know!
Jim
http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/24888/00924888000-190.jpg

Larry Crim
09-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I have the SL also and as jay said the Beis clone fence is nice, I had the opportunity to compare all the models in the showroom and I liked the SL.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

Since this is my first table saw I Really relied on recommendations from forums and glad I picked the SL. I have to agree with what jay stated about shimming the face of the fence I didn't realize it was so wavy until I got a good straight edge and placed it against the white plastic face, I tried and tried to get the fence flat via shims/Tape but gave up and used a opted for the more stable MDF option and I rubbed wax into the MDF till it would not take anymore and installed it with only a little tape as a shim and it is nice and flat, works Great and I can't believe the difference in quality of cut.<O:p></O:p>

Good luck on what ever you choose I don't think you can go wrong either way.<O:p></O:p>

Larry<O:p></O:p>

Sparky Paessler
09-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Get a left tilt. I have a right tilt unisaw and wish I had gotten the left tilt! I just like the blade tilting away from the fence. Seems safer. With the right tilt I have to swap the fence to the left side of the blade.

Jim Ketron
09-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks Sparky!
Good point
Hows the shop coming along?
I will have my shop going this weekend! Just need to paint the walls now!:D :D
Jim

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-17-2004, 12:56 AM
I hated the fence on the 1023Z(x). I was never happy with the saw, either...but that was several years ago. Many people are quite pleased with recent Grizzly saws.

As to right vs left tilt...I've used both and prefer the right. I can move the fence to the left of the blade if necessary for bevel cuts, but I've made many, many bevel cuts over the years with the fence to the right. One of the good things about the right tilt is the fence scale is correct when you put a dado blade on. Left tilt requires some figuring.

Another thing I considered when buying 'right' was the location of the dust collection port. On the right tilt the motor cover door is under the table on the right side of the saw. In a small shop, it's logical to me to place the saw such that the right end of the extension table is against a wall...therefore making a 'clean' DC installation...down the wall, under the saw, and out of the way. Downside to this is you lose some very useful storage space under the extension table, both because the piping/hose and the motor cover door are in the way.

Bottom line is it's simply a matter of personal choice.

KC

Marcus Hutchison
09-17-2004, 8:31 AM
Hello Jim

I also have the 1023Z. I like the fence that came with it better than the Bies. clone on the SL. I went to Grizzly in Springfield to check out the difference before I bought the saw. The fence was the deciding factor. I also like the fact that the fence is still accurate when you mount a dado stack. With the left tilt you have to subtract the thickness of the dado from the reading on the cursor, because the dado is stacking toward the fence. I use mine to make mostly cabinets & furniture & have rarely needed to use the bevel, maybe once a month or so. I cut dados almost every day, so it was a simple trade off for me. Hope this helps.

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 9:00 AM
Kirk brings up the real major difference between the two...the fence. The tilt doesn't matter if the fence isn't going to make you happy. While I've seen a few posts over the years from folks that like the "original" ShopFox fence, they are few and far between. The "S" models have a Biesemeyer clone fence that is likely to make you a lot more happy if you choose to go Grizz...

As to tilt, I'd have to respectfully disagree about the effect of left vs right on dado usage...one should be measuring manually for those, anyway, given that both sides of the dado have to be in the right place and the width is variable. RT might be quicker for that, however, since you can at least line up one side of the dado using the fence scale. But you still have to check carefully to insure that things are exactly where you want them to be, especially when you are making "matched" sets with a left and a right piece....

Personally, I prefer left-tilt for American-style table saws. For a true-slider...right tilt is the way to go.

Dick Parr
09-17-2004, 9:06 AM
Jim, my cast top is 40-1/8"X27" on the SL. I got the SL because I was using a Craftsman left tilt at the time and just stuck with the left tilt. I like the Bies clone fence. I don't bevel that often, but when I do it is nice not to worry about the kick back. I use my RAS or a router for most of my dados so that's not a problem.

Again, I love my Sl. It has done everything I have asked of it. :)

Sparky Paessler
09-17-2004, 9:33 AM
Thanks Sparky!
Good point
Hows the shop coming along?
I will have my shop going this weekend! Just need to paint the walls now!:D :D
Jim

Jim

SLOW is the word on how the shop is comming along. I had rented a 543 bobcat to dig with the day you came down. I had measured the width and height to make sure it would fit but did think about the length. Kept getting it hung up making the turn out of the shop. After breaking the corner off the house there at the exit I decided that it wasn't going to work and used it to move that large pile of dirt that I had. I have been digging out the smaller of the two spaces (8'x8'x4.5') by hand with a pick and shovel and after 5 nights of that I am about half way. Depending on the weather Saturday afternoon I plan to rent a demolition hammer with a clay spade on it. I have been told that you can cut the clay out in blocks with it. If that doesn't work I may try one of those new walk behind Bobcats. Good luck on your shop project and have fun picking out a new saw. :D

Sparky

Kent Cori
09-17-2004, 9:49 AM
Jim,

I bought the SL over two years ago and have been extremely happy with it. It resides in my garage shop and gets pretty heavy hobbiest use. The fence is great and stays in alignment after the initial adjustment. I put it on a Shop Fox mobile base so that I could continue to park the cars in the garage. I get a good feeling every time I use it. It was money well invested.

If you shoot me an email, I'll reply with a Word file that describes my experiences with retrieving it from the freight company and setting it up. They may be of help to you.

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-17-2004, 10:31 AM
I have the 1023s and love it. the fence is the beis clone and it is right on.

YMMV

Roger

Larry Browning
09-17-2004, 1:28 PM
I have the 1023SL and absolutely love it! However, I am in the early planning stages of setting up a dust collection system(translate as day dreaming) and I am going to need to replace the 4" dust port with a 6" port. On the right tilt saw this is no problem. However, on the left tilt version the motor dust cover is right above the dust port and I think it might get in the way when replacing the dust port.

Larry

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 1:32 PM
I have the 1023SL and absolutely love it! However, I am in the early planning stages of setting up a dust collection system(translate as day dreaming) and I am going to need to replace the 4" dust port with a 6" port. On the right tilt saw this is no problem. However, on the left tilt version the motor dust cover is right above the dust port and I think it might get in the way when replacing the dust port.
Larry, consider putting the port elsewhere on the cabinet. For example, Terry H put his larger port on the back of the cabinet. This will also allow you to put the port in a more convenient place for routing the duct/hose. Note, you may want/need to reconfigure the "floor" of the saw to help channel dust towards the port. I plan on these modifications for my Jet LT saw one of these days...

Jim Ketron
09-17-2004, 5:30 PM
Thanks Men for all the great info!
I always use a ruler to set my fence anyway front and back! I have no choice on the saw I have now!
Jim

nic obie
09-17-2004, 8:14 PM
Personally, I prefer left-tilt for American-style table saws. For a true-slider...right tilt is the way to go.

I agree.......

JayStPeter
09-18-2004, 8:33 AM
Thanks Men for all the great info!
I always use a ruler to set my fence anyway front and back! I have no choice on the saw I have now!
Jim

Wow, you'll be REAL happy with the new saw then!

Jay