PDA

View Full Version : just another rookie bowl...

Walt Caza
09-20-2009, 2:53 PM
Good Day Faithful Turners,
This is my second bowl effort since watching Grumbine's first bowl DVD.
Nothing fancy, just a chunk of Bubinga from WoodCraft in MI.
I went a bit thinner, but wanted to keep as much of the wood I paid for...
also got the inside shape to better rhyme with the outside.

For those who voted in my grain pic poll...
the final pic is quite blotchy, minus the overhead lighting hotspot
and chuck blur. Thanks for your input.

I know my rudimentary early turnings are weak,
but I'm determined to improve over time.
You can't get there from here...
only a boatload of steps in between can get it done.
be well,
Walt

ps satin poly again, gonna buy some glossy

curtis rosche
09-20-2009, 3:10 PM
you really under estimate your work. this is a very nice bowl, looks like a really good finish. great from too.

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2009, 3:42 PM
Walt that is a great looking bowl. Form and finish look good. You'll get there Walt. Time, patience and practice.

David Christopher
09-20-2009, 3:54 PM
Walt, I agree with Curtis, thats a beautiful bowl

alex carey
09-20-2009, 4:02 PM
yeah curtis is right, you underestime your work, this is a beautiful piece, good shape and nice finish.

curtis rosche
09-20-2009, 4:09 PM
do you have any free wood around you, instead of spending alot of money to learn with? you should check ebay for wood. there is one seller. lumberlady86 or something like that. she owns a saw mill and sells the bigger cut offs, she is in MI so shipping shouldnt be that much. and she normaly has good stuff that goes cheap.

Steve Schlumpf
09-20-2009, 4:18 PM
Good looking bowl Walt! No way does this look anything even close to my second bowl! When I turned my first bowls I used firewood and when I had completed them, I had created fancy firewood. Your bowls show you have an eye for form - and that is something that usually takes the most time to learn. Keep doing what you are doing and have fun!

ROY DICK
09-20-2009, 4:50 PM
Walt,
Don't be so hard your self, that is one fine looking bowl.

Roy

Rob Cunningham
09-20-2009, 7:35 PM
That's a fine looking bowl Walt. I think you nailed the form both inside and outside. Nothing wrong with a satin finish either.

Thomas Canfield
09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Walt,

Good looking bowl. The dry blanks are excellent for turning from start to finish, but I have found that green wood is more forgiving and worked better for me to learn techniques and get over some of the fear factor. The cost of the green wood also usualy is much better, such as free or cutting costs. Check for downed wood or make contact with some of the tree service companies. You may have a problem getting it split and prepared, but you can also check into a local woodturning group to get some assistance. One work of caution is to make sure and get the pith cut out and wood sealed as soon as possible to prevent checking.

I purchased a chain saw and get anchor seal from our local club for $9 /gallon. I have even practiced on pine trees that had been cut down due to pine boers (wood grain really presents a challange) and a lot of bradford pear when found in the neighborhood. Often, members will bring extra wood to the club meetings and that again is free.

gary Zimmel
09-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Doesn't look like a rookie bowl to me Walt.

Great job.
You seem to be fast tracking the learning curve
in this spinny world......