PDA

View Full Version : Which upholstery air stapler to buy?

dennis thompson
09-20-2009, 1:12 PM
I built my grandson a chair which I would like to upholster, I've never done any upholstery, any suggestions on which air stapler I should buy.....brand?, size? ,are there different types of staples? I have a brad nailer so I'm guessing a dedicated stapler, not a combo stapler/nailer would be best? I have a small pancake compressor
Thanks
Dennis

John M Bailey
09-20-2009, 1:53 PM
I bought a 1/2 crown stapler from Harbor freight. I hoped it would last long enough for the six chairs I was upholstering. Boy was I surprised! It works great, and only $20!

Don Selke
09-20-2009, 3:07 PM
I also bought the Harbor Freight upholstry air staple gun to do 8 bar stools. The thing worked like a champ. While I was there, I bought the staples along with it. I bought it as something I thought I would seldome use after I was done, but I find myself using it on various projects. Starting to get some arthritis in the fingers so the hand held was out of the question.

Jim O'Dell
09-20-2009, 3:42 PM
Cound me as another that grabbed the HF 1/2" unit. I have 2 other of their air tools that I have been happy with. This stapler is another one. I got mine with a coupon on sale at 12.92 + tax. Heck of a deal!! Jim.

dennis thompson
09-20-2009, 5:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went to Harbor Freight,The 1/2" unit was listed on the website @$30, it was on sale for $20 & I had a 20% coupon so I got it for $16. (Of course by the time I got out of there I had spent $40)
Thanks again
Dennis

Mike Henderson
09-20-2009, 7:04 PM
I have the Porter Cable but for the little I've used it, I could have bought the HF and saved some money.

Mike

Kev Godwin
09-20-2009, 7:22 PM
Ditto the HF staple gun. I've been using mine for nearly 2 years. It is one of those gems you can get for very little money. As good as mine has worked, I wouldn't even consider a name brand.
Kev

Paul Atkins
09-20-2009, 8:38 PM
Me too! I also have a 1/4" stapler which does not work for fabric very well. The HF unit does skip every once and a while, but for 20 bucks -----Wish we could get an American made one for that.

Zach England
09-20-2009, 8:43 PM
Are you sure you want an upholstery stapler? They are different from a finish stapler. The staples are wider and use a finer wire. I have this one and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-US58-22-Gauge-C-Crown-Upholstery/dp/B00004SBC3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1253493643&sr=8-1

I also have a senco finish stapler, which would work for upholstery, but might require pounding some staples in to hide the heavier wire gauge.

Steve Clardy
09-20-2009, 9:07 PM
I have the Porter Cable but for the little I've used it, I could have bought the HF and saved some money.

Mike

Also have the PC. Nice gun