PDA

View Full Version : how to release 3M 77 spray adhesive?

Tyler Davis
09-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I have a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper glued to a granite plate for flattening waterstones. I need to change the paper, but I am having some trouble getting the 3M Super 77 adhesive to release. This stuff does its job pretty well! The can does not suggest any way to de-bond it, only suggests turpentine to clean the nozzle between uses. Have any of you been successful in releasing a sheet of sandpaper, or do you just glue a new one on top of it?

Leo Vogel
09-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I wipe it down with mineral spirits, and it peels right off.

Michael Peet
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
You may have used too much ;). You really only need a spritz; just enough to keep it flat and prevent it from sliding around when you use it.

I guess I would scrape and tear off what i could, then saturate the remainder with a solvent and then scrape that off. I wouldn't glue a new sheet on top of the old, because you really want as flat a surface as possible under the paper.

I'm sure another Creeker will chime in with something better.

Mike

george wilson
09-20-2009, 1:01 PM
Heat gun to peel it off? then,solvent.

David DeCristoforo
09-20-2009, 1:22 PM
Lacquer thinner. Put some in a plastic squeeze bottle (the kind they sell for ketchup and mustard). If you put a bit on the edge, you can work a putty knife blade under the veneer to get it started. Then just drizzle a bit on the blade of the knife and work it under the veneer and you can peel it right off. Contact cement does not stand a chance against lacquer thinner....

Paul Girouard
09-20-2009, 1:30 PM
3M makes a spary can orange cleaner IF you rather not use laquer thinner. Works good , smells good, costs about $18.00 a can :eek: IIRC. Ace around here carries it.

I use it on P.Lam jobs , people generally comment how good it smells , that may have something to do with how bad it smelled while the gun was being used. :D

Dan Forman
09-20-2009, 2:24 PM
I've always been able to peel off the paper, then wipe off the residue with naptha or mineral spirits.

Dan

Scott T Smith
09-20-2009, 5:44 PM
Heat gun to peel it off? then,solvent.

+1. MEK or lacquer thinner works well as the solvent.

John McClanahan
09-20-2009, 6:20 PM
When you use the spray, only spray the back of the sand paper. Let it dry until tacky, then stick it down. If you follow any directions about spraying both halves, you will have this problem. It then works like contact cement.

John

glenn bradley
09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
+1 naphtha.