PDA

View Full Version : Phew!!!!! OT

Pete Rosenbohm
09-16-2004, 8:54 PM
Phew that was very close, IVAN i mean missed us by about fifty miles here in cajun country. Feel for the poor people of Mobile, Alabama and the Orange Beach Gulf Shore areas, also the far west areas of Florida.Very devastating if you watched the weather channel news. My family and i were in a 10 story condo in Orange Beach in the middle of August for a weeks vacation. That 10 story condo no longer exist!!!!!! Gone ,kabut,nothing just a slab where it once stood. The main 1-10 bridge in Escambia has crumbled in two sections. I was steaming somewhat Tuesday when it took all of 9 hours to drive from New Orleans to Baton Rouge a total of 89 miles. I thank my lucky stars now, that i have a place to return to. My prayers and hopefully yours go out to all the victims of these terrible storms.

Thanks for listening
Pete

Gary Whitt
09-17-2004, 8:04 AM
My wife's family lives in and near Mobile. All within 30 miles of the gulf and within 10 miles of Mobile Bay.

Wednesday night, she was talking to her son about 2200 hours and the lines went dead.

She has not been able to reach them since.

All of them were planning on staying in their houses and mobile homes. :eek:

Jim Becker
09-17-2004, 9:05 AM
Tony Perkins of ABC was standing in front of that condo this morning while reporting from the area...or at least the pile of rubble now where it used to stand. Nasty! 'Hope all your family is OK.

Kevin Beck
09-17-2004, 9:27 AM
My Uncle has owned a home in Orange Beach (east of Gulf Shores) for more than 30 years.
I spent many summers shrimping in Terry's Cove and trolling for bluefish and spanish makerel off Alabama Point. I guesss the FloraBama is history too, my Uncle used to "park" his boat on the sandbar near there and buy refreshments for fishing. The sad thing is that most of the stuff that is being destroyed is less than 25 years old because Hurricane Frederick wiped out the same area in 1979.

My inlaws north of Pensacola (Byrneville, FL) lost more than half the roof of their home they have lived in for more than 30 years. They think the house is a total loss. My mother-in-law told LOML that the really bad winds lasted for more than 6 hours and for much of that they weren't sure if they were going to live or not. The tornado that took the roof off left a path in the woods behind their house.

Kevin