PDA

View Full Version : 3mm Clear Cast Acrylic

Steve Clarkson
09-20-2009, 8:09 AM
Does anyone know where I can get sheets of 3mm clear cast acrylic? I can get 1/8" and probably 1/16" almost anywhere......but I need the 3mm for an LED application so if fits perfectly in the base......1/8" is too thick (won't fit in the base) and 1/16" will be too thin (will fall out). I've tried engraving 1/8" down before, but it doesn't look good for LED applications.

Mike Christen
09-20-2009, 9:09 AM
Hi Steve

I googled it and found this site http://www.archplastics.com/us_california_plastic_distributor/acrylic_sheet_plastic.html

I'm thinking that being cast it may be very difficult to get something that's exact, 3mm = .118" so I'm sure the tolerance of any cast will be off somewhat in actual thickness.

Any chance of modifying the base or maybe adding small trim piece?

Stuart Orrell
09-20-2009, 9:11 AM
Hi Steve,

1/8" is 3.175mm. I believe the thickness of cast acrylic can vary + or - 10%, so you could still have problems with the 3mm stock.

I think it may be available in 2.5mm thickness, which may be better for your application. See this table that I found on Google for reference.

http://www.cpchile.com/pdf/acrilico/margacipta/Margacipta_Technical_Data.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't know how this relates to materials available in the US.

I would ask your supplier if he can look to see if they have any low end tolerance sheets that meet your thickness requirement.

Good hunting!

Martin Boekers
09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Steve, what I have done with this and works well (Esp in emergencys;))

Is to go with the thicker and raster a strip at the bottom.
You can then adjust to the exact width you need by
how much you raster away so it gives you the tight fit
your looking for.

Rember to raster away on the front side, then the back
side where you do the actual engraving will be flush
with the inset on the base. You may have to engrave a
bit deeper to get the effect you want.

Also check with Jim on this forum (A2Z Engraving) as
he uses thinner plexi for his LEDs and may be able to help.

Hope this helps,

Marty

Dmitriy Kumets
09-21-2009, 7:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can get sheets of 3mm clear cast acrylic? I can get 1/8" and probably 1/16" almost anywhere......but I need the 3mm for an LED application so if fits perfectly in the base......1/8" is too thick (won't fit in the base) and 1/16" will be too thin (will fall out). I've tried engraving 1/8" down before, but it doesn't look good for LED applications.

Hi steve,
3mm is usually rounded to .118" (it's .1181102... so it gets rounded down.) Tap plastics 1/8" is labeled as .118 and I have measured it to 3mm with calipers. Also, I have ordered acrylic from mcmaster which cas the cyro 3mm acrylic label on it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cast-acrylic-sheets/=3qeatw

Out of curiousity -where do you buy true 1/8"?

In general don't forget that a t1 led (3mm led) is not exactly 3mm. The ones I have are 2.8mm diameter at the bulb part and 3.1mm at the base.

Steve Clarkson
09-21-2009, 7:15 PM
Maybe I need 2.5MM acrylic.....all I know is that my standard 1/8" acrylic is too thick.

Marty, I've tried to raster acrylic to thin it out......it works, but it doesn't work with LED edge-lit acrylic......the heavy frosting from that raster right where the LED's hit it, seems to eat up the light so the rest doesn't look as good.

Also, Jim is where I got the LED light bases from......it's his stupid supplier that uses thin acrylic!!!!! Why they couldn't just use standard 1/8" like EVERYONE else in the world, I'll never know!!!!! So if I screw up the piece of acrylic that comes with the light bases, I'm SOL unless I get more from Jim. It's doesn't make sense for me to buy 5 extra pieces if I'm only going to screw up four...........It would be alot easier if I could just use my own acrylic.

Jim Good
09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Steve,

Are you needing acrylic blanks for the glowboards? How many do you need?

These are actually 2mm (.0787") thick acrylic. I know there is an acrylic supplier that offers .080" material that works fine.

I'm working on getting glowboards that use 3mm acrylic. That stuff is easy to find. You can always go with Delvies.

Let me know what you think of the larger glowboard with the same crazy 2mm acrylic! :D

On most orders I try to throw in a few extra blanks because I hate the stress of knowing you have no safety margins. Let me know how many you need. I owe you some for "interest". :(

Jim

Steve Clarkson
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Jim,

No, I don't need any 2mm acrylic.....YET!!!!!!!!! I'm just planning ahead for my mistakes.

Did you get my PM about the new glowboard?

Jim Good
09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Steve,

I haven't read my messages, yet. Our little boy arrived Thursday and we got back from the hospital yesterday. He was 8 lb -11 oz and we had to go the C-section route. Everybody is healthy but my wife and I didn't get any sleep last night! The baby has his night and day mixed up! He slept all day today and I dread this evening. I'm afraid it is getting close to party time for him. Time has been lean for me.

I'll get to my messages this evening, though.

Thanks!

Jim

Steve Clarkson
09-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Congrats!!!!!!! Hope he looks like your wife.

Dan Hintz
09-22-2009, 6:38 AM
Marty, I've tried to raster acrylic to thin it out......it works, but it doesn't work with LED edge-lit acrylic......the heavy frosting from that raster right where the LED's hit it, seems to eat up the light so the rest doesn't look as good.
Hmmmm, sounds like a job for a <cough cough> flame polisher <cough cough>. :D

Steve Clarkson
09-22-2009, 7:01 AM
Get out of here......are you telling me that you can polish down a 12" x1" strip from 3mm to 2mm? If so, I may need to get one!

Jim Good
09-22-2009, 8:25 AM
Wasn't there a post on flame polishing!?! :D

Dan Hintz
09-22-2009, 8:53 AM
Get out of here......are you telling me that you can polish down a 12" x1" strip from 3mm to 2mm? If so, I may need to get one!
You said "the heavy frosting from that raster right where the LED's hit it, seems to eat up the light so the rest doesn't look as good, and the flame polisher should take care of that frosting.

Steve Clarkson
09-22-2009, 3:41 PM
OK....NOW I understand!

Michael Kowalczyk
09-22-2009, 6:42 PM
Hey Steve,
I use .080" cast acrylic all the time for mine so I have lots of the ones that come in the box as extras. I get it from Calsak plastics.

Hey Jim,
Congrats on the not so little one. He beat me by a pound.
I was 7lbs 11ozs and 21 inches. Just play with him for half the day, and then 3/4 of the day the next day and then the 3rd day for the whole day and he will either be rid of his jet lag or you will be even more tired.:eek:
Check you PM.

thanks and ...

Steve Clarkson
09-23-2009, 7:28 AM
Steve,

I haven't read my messages, yet. Our little boy arrived Thursday and we got back from the hospital yesterday. He was 8 lb -11 oz and we had to go the C-section route. Everybody is healthy but my wife and I didn't get any sleep last night! The baby has his night and day mixed up! He slept all day today and I dread this evening. I'm afraid it is getting close to party time for him. Time has been lean for me.

I'll get to my messages this evening, though.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

I'm interested in that new base you sent me. Can you please message me with the prices and options?

Thanks

Steve

Mike Null
09-23-2009, 8:06 AM
Can we handle business transactions off the forum, please.