PDA

View Full Version : A Few Newbee Questions:

Jake Byrd
09-16-2004, 8:16 PM
1. How do I make a drilling aligner thing since I don't have a drill press?

2. Where is a good place to get pen kits?

3. Why are all of you so nice?:D

Thanks,

Dennis Peacock
09-16-2004, 8:20 PM
Howdy Jake..!!!!!

Pen kits.......in general....from Berea Hardwoods...GREAT folks and good prices.

Align a hole? Ain't a whole "round".!!!! :p :p :D

We be nice 'cause we IS nice!!!!! :D

Jim Ketron
09-16-2004, 8:30 PM
Hello Jake
The last pen kit order I made came from http://www.pocwoodworking.com/ they have some great prices!
Have fun and be carefull!
Dont forget your faceshield and safety glasses!!
Jim

Ian MacDonald
09-16-2004, 8:33 PM
Hi Jake,

Here's a couple of devices that I've used in lieu of my drill press:

Dowel Drilling Jig:
http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Tool%20P9.jpg
These things work pretty well in certain cases such drilling into the edge or end of a board. It only works with specific drill sizes though.

Portable Drill Guide:
http://www.woodworking-online.com/rimages/4020.jpg

Each can be had for about $30-$50 at most WW stores.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Jake Byrd
09-16-2004, 9:01 PM
For the portable drill guide, how do you use it. do you just need a hand drill to go with it?

Ian MacDonald
09-16-2004, 9:06 PM
Hi Jake,

Here's a picture of a portable guide in use:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/ProductImages/drilling/075012.jpg

Your corded/cordless hand drill attaches to the chuck on the drill guide, then you insert your drill bits in the guide's chuck.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Bill Grumbine
09-16-2004, 9:08 PM
Jake, I have a tabletop drill press that someone left at my shop when we had our big picnic in July. It was for sale to help defray the picnic costs. It is not fancy, but it works. The price the original owner put on it is $20.00. If you are interested, let me know. I am in PA, and shipping would probably be more than the $20.00, but if you want it we can work something out. I have a large floor stand drill press, so I really don't need two. I can get you some pics if you are interested.

I second the idea of getting your pens from Berea. I used to do nothing but pens back in the old days (the 1990s) and I bought all my kits from Berea.

Bill

PS Like Dennis says, we are nice because we are nice. Someone has to make up for all the idiocy on the internet! ;)

edit in

Hey Jake, I just looked at your profile! I remember you saying you were getting your lathe for your birthday. Well, your birthday is the day after mine! :eek: Of course, I have been here a little longer than you, but happy birthday to you, and of course, having a birthday in October can't be beat for the best time of year!

Dale Thompson
09-16-2004, 9:19 PM
Jake,
For drilling a few holes, you can make a jig by simply drilling a relatively straight hole in a piece of hardwood. The thicker the better. I like to go with at least 1 1/2" stock. The problem is that you have to have a different "jig" for each size hole and the "jig" has a relatively short life span.

Your second question has already been answered well. On the other hand, If you are going to drill pen blanks, you had better put a drill press on your Christmas list. You can do it on your lathe but you will probably waste a lot of wood and it's kind of "iffy". Put the drill bit in the tailstock and chuck the blank in the headstock.

Your third comment was VERY nice. :) Thank you! I'm a SUPER human being, a REALLY great guy and richly deserve EVERY compliment that I get! :rolleyes: On the other hand, we have people like "Spring", Tyler, "Laguna", "San Josey", David Rose and others who may fall a bit short of reaching my high standards of competence - or is it incompetence - or am I confused? :confused: The smoke from my "scrap" fire is getting in my eyes! :cool:

BURP!! Be aware of anyone around here who brags and uses the names/nicknames of other members of this board in vain! ;)

Dale T.

Jake Byrd
09-16-2004, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the quick replys and Mr. Grumbine, I hope you have a happy birthday as well.

Keith Christopher
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Well I used to tape (yes another used for duct tape) a bullet level to my drill. With a stop collar/block I could focus on my level bubble. I know it's quite the HACK but it worked. BTW the delta 12" VS drillpresses are all clearanced at Lowes. can get one of these 200.00+ tools for ~135.00.

Bob Aquino
09-17-2004, 8:27 AM
Jake
Don't know how far you are from any of theses HF stores, but if one is within an hour or so drive, go there and get one of the cheap bench mount drill presses. You would most likely need a small drill press vice as well. Probably cost less than 50 for both or you can take Bill up on his offer.
CHARLOTTE,NC 3852 E INDEPENDENCE BLVD 704-569-0182
FAYETTEVILLE,NC 1330 CLINTON RD. 910-484-2180
GREENSBORO,NC 3709 FARMINGTON DRIVE 336-834-2234
RALEIGH,NC 3302 CAPITAL BLVD. 919-876-2023

I buy my pen kits from POCwoodworking.com, I think they are about the cheapest out there.