PDA

View Full Version : Chuck questions

Ernie Kuhn
09-20-2009, 1:49 AM
I have a pre-China Nova 3000, 1.5hp DC VS lathe and need a couple of additional chucks for light work.
Nova G3? $144.99

Woodcraft: WoodRiver chuck with tommy bars? $86.50

Tommy bars work for me, but, are jaw sets interchangeable?

Ernie

Terry Murphy
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I will also be watching for your answer.
With the woodcraft sale coming up, could get a good deal, if they are worth it.
Terry:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Ernie I went thru the same thing. Needed a extra chuck for some light work and didn't want to buy another Vicmarc VM 100. I finally ended up with the $99 chucks from Grizzly and found they were a clone of the Vic 100. All the Vic jaws fit them so I bought 3 more because I am to lazy to change jaws. Been using them for 2 yrs now with no problems.

Alan Trout
09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
There is a guy on e-bay goes under woodworker specialties that sells Nova Chucks. He is out of Canada and right now you can get a G3 with insert and free shipping for $125. It is a great chuck. I got one from him a long while back and it made it from Canada to South Texas in less than a week. I use my G3 and SN2 on my DVR XP and the performance of both has been exceptional.

I also do not believe that the Wood River jaws interchange with Nova.

Good Luck

Alan

Steve Mellott
09-20-2009, 6:11 PM
The $125 G3 package on eBay may also qualify for the 8% Bing rebate.

Steve

Richard Madison
09-20-2009, 6:58 PM
Ditto what Bernie said. Have two of the Griz chucks and would buy another if I needed it and had spare $$.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2009, 10:19 PM
I got my G3 from the e-bay guy. If you already have a Nova, the jaws should all interchange. I also just got my W/C flyer and they have the Supernova for $156. I picked up the Nova Midi last sale at W/C $99 with 3 jaw sets. Tommy bars aren't as handy as the G3 is.
I have no other experience with chucks, except that I used a Oneway once. WOW, what a great chuck.

David Reed
09-21-2009, 8:52 AM
I can't find the $125 deal on EBay. Does anyone have the link?
David

Alan Trout
09-21-2009, 9:07 AM
David,

Here is the ebay item number. 400065069811 or if you just search Nova G3 that is the first thing that comes up. they get angry here at the Creek if you post a direct link to ebay even if it is not a auction. This is a buy it now.

Alan

Matt Newton
09-21-2009, 9:31 AM
Over on the deals page, there is a post about the oneway chucks on sale at home depot. It is only online. It sounds like a great deal. Can you interchange nova jaws with the oneway chucks?

Bill Bolen
09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I've bought 2 nova chucks from Bob (ebay guy) over the years and have been totally satisfied with him. I also have 2 of the grizz chucks that Bernie mentioned and they are great chucks for the price...Bill..

Don Meyer
09-21-2009, 7:23 PM
I just received my new flier from Woodcraft today and starting Sept. 30th they have the Super Nova2 on sale for 139.99 but you also have to buy the insert for it. They also have the Nova DVR and the Nova 1624-44 on sale for 500.00 off. they are 1699.99 and 899.99 respectively.

Ryan Baker
09-21-2009, 7:49 PM
Over on the deals page, there is a post about the oneway chucks on sale at home depot. It is only online. It sounds like a great deal. Can you interchange nova jaws with the oneway chucks?

Oneway jaws do not interchange with Nova jaws. Oneway Talon and Oneway Stronghold jaws do not interchange. (It is possible to put some Vicmarc jaws on a stronghold with adapters.) All of the Nova jaws do interchange on Nova chucks (except for the Titan Powergrip jaws). Nova jaws interchange with the Sorby Patriot chucks. Grizzly interchanges with Vicmarc in some combinations. Nothing interchanges with the Woodriver or Barracuda jaws.

Rick Huelsbeck
09-22-2009, 8:04 AM
You can buy the jaws for it for less than 30 dollars. I have been using mine for over a year and not a problem one. I also have the grizzly still in the box, hope to get it out in the next week as I want to use my Vicmarc flat jaws with it to finish a bowl I'm working on now. I will let you know how that works, but if you want a good light chuck the woodcraft will serve you well.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-22-2009, 1:28 PM
I just received my new flier from Woodcraft today and starting Sept. 30th they have the Super Nova2 on sale for 139.99 but you also have to buy the insert for it. They also have the Nova DVR and the Nova 1624-44 on sale for 500.00 off. they are 1699.99 and 899.99 respectively.

Wow, 159 for the chuck and 1008/1897 for the lathes in Hawaii....

Ernie Kuhn
09-22-2009, 8:54 PM
Nova G3 on ebay. I ordered one. There appear to be 4 left. Can't beat the price and sales tax not charged. The seller is Bob Gadd. Name sounds familiar. Don't know if I ran across his name on the predecessor to "the creek"? Or if I dealt with him before when purchasing from KMS Tools in BC? Should be here in a week or so.
Appreciate all the responses and suggestions/help.
Ernie

Gordon Seto
09-22-2009, 9:45 PM
I picked up the Nova Midi last sale at W/C $99 with 3 jaw sets. Tommy bars aren't as handy as the G3 is.

If your lathe has spindle lock, you can operate the chuck with a single Tommy bar. The Tommy bar chucks are usually faster acting than those with T-handle key, which take a lot of turns for the jaws to travel the whole range.
You can also use the tail stock as your third hand to hold the blank temporarily.
Another advantage of Tommy bar chucks is they are less bulky, take up less bed length.
The down side of the Midi chuck is it is direct threaded. You can't just swap out the insert (adapter) when you switch to a lathe of different spindle without using a spindle adapter. The range of jaw movement on the Midi is also smaller than G3.

Ryan Baker
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I agree. Tommy bar chucks are compact and fast to operate IF you have a lathe with a goo spindle lock, like a Vicmarc. If you have a lathe with a spring loaded lock, like a Jet/Powermatic for example, using a tommy bar chuck is a big pain.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-24-2009, 9:58 PM
If your lathe has spindle lock, you can operate the chuck with a single Tommy bar. The Tommy bar chucks are usually faster acting than those with T-handle key, which take a lot of turns for the jaws to travel the whole range.
You can also use the tail stock as your third hand to hold the blank temporarily.
Another advantage of Tommy bar chucks is they are less bulky, take up less bed length.
The down side of the Midi chuck is it is direct threaded. You can't just swap out the insert (adapter) when you switch to a lathe of different spindle without using a spindle adapter. The range of jaw movement on the Midi is also smaller than G3.

My spindle lock pops back out by spring pressure, so I'd have to hold it to tighten. I guess it's what you're used to. My hands are big enough so I can tighten the chuck snug with 1 hand holding the wood... Then I can use both hands to gronk down on the chuck. I usually also use the tailstock to hold the wood, so 1 hand vs 2 is not the problem. Finding 2 little holes instead of 1 big one.
The G3 is a FAT chuck..... One of the reasons I like the Midi. I don't hate either. I'm more used to the G3.