PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Clean up aluminum?

richard poitras
09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Best way to Clean up aluminum?

I recently got a use shopsmith and it has aluminum tables on it, they are flat and in pretty good shape but they look a bit din gee and discolored. What is the best way to clean up these kinds of parts to bring them back to life/ shine?
Thanks Richard

David Christopher
09-19-2009, 10:59 PM
fine sandpaper then mothers alunminum polish ( any auto parts store has it )

Steve Rozmiarek
09-20-2009, 1:28 AM
There is a chemical that will make it shine with nearly no effort. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head, but truckers use it to clean the aluminum on their trucks. It's an acid of some sort IIRC. A parts store may be able to point you in the right direction.

Larry Edgerton
09-20-2009, 8:18 AM
Ditto on the cleaner. We get it at a trucking supply, it is used to clean aluminum wheels and such, and works well.

Phil Thien
09-20-2009, 9:21 AM
Ditto on the cleaner. We get it at a trucking supply, it is used to clean aluminum wheels and such, and works well.

Somebody is going to have to look at a container of this stuff and let us know what it is.

I recently acquired a bandsaw with a table that was originally anodized. However, the anodizing is shot and I'm going to have to find a solution short of anodizing it again.

I've used Mother's and it works well. But the table still sheds some of the gray oxide on material slid across it.

Steve Leverich
09-20-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.simichrome-polish.com/

used to use this stuff on aluminum motorcycle cases, etc, works well... Steve

Steve Rozmiarek
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
The stuff we use appears to be a 1:20 mix of phosphoric acid and water. It will remove the oxidization, grease and other yuk. Commercial premixed brightners are pretty common as well, for instance:

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=44750&cn=1500004&bhcd2=1253456968

These chemicals can etch the aluminum if misused, they are not complicated to use, but keep it in mind. My guys spray the cleaner/acid on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wash if off well.

Rob Hermann
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
HVAC stores sell an acid called, Brite-Alum for cleaning coils. It works well. I use it to clean pontoon logs prior to polishing. Spray it on, hose if off, done. It's fairly inexpensive too. A gallon is about $12 and for most jobs I dilute it 3:1 with water so thats only about 4 bucks a gallon. be carefull though. Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves and eye protection.