PDA

View Full Version : Composite board definitions

Howard Phillips
09-19-2009, 9:26 PM
Can anyone explain to me clearly the differencse between the various composite boards?

I know plywood, and I'm pretty sure MDF is just particle board with wood fibers (ie pulp) instead of chips...but it's easy to get all of them confused at the store.

So, I'll just start from the top:

What are MDF (and LDF, HDF), melamine, particle board, chip board, MDO and the like and how do they differ?

thanks

Kevin Groenke
09-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Can anyone explain to me clearly the differencse between the various composite boards?

I know plywood, and I'm pretty sure MDF is just particle board with wood fibers (ie pulp) instead of chips...but it's easy to get all of them confused at the store.

So, I'll just start from the top:

What are MDF (and LDF, HDF), melamine, particle board, chip board, MDO and the like and how do they differ?

thanks

MDF - medium density fiberboard
LDF - low density fiberboard
HDF - high density fiberboard
melamine - particle board (usually) with a melamine film applied to each side
particle board - yeah
chip board - I suspect you're refering to OSB - oriented strand board - commonly used as exterior sheathing - to me "chipboard" is a paper product
MDO - medium density overlay - usually fir plywood with a phenolic impregnated outer layer fiber board - commonly used for concrete form work and exterior signage

and how do they differ?

While most of these are similar in that the are made of compressed fibers held together with a binde,r each is unique and made with different fibers, binders and manufacturing processes. They have different surfaces, strength, rigidity, fastener holding characteristics, machineability, etc. Different products within each category vary somewhat (Medite MDF for example is formaldyhide-free, most MDF's aren't). PB's are available in different densities, some with recycled content, again varying levels of formaldahyde.

LOTS to cover here and of course there are many more.

more info:
http://www.apawood.org/
http://www.pbmdf.com/
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/index.php

johnny means
09-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Melamine is not actually a sheet good but the durable plastic coating applied to some composite products. It is most commonly found on particle board and usually in white. Melamine is also available on plywood and MDF. It can also be applied after a part is formed such as in faux raised panel doors. melamine comes in all colors and even in woodgrain patterns.

MDF medium density fiber board is wood pulp mixed with resin and layered into those brown sheets you see at Home Depot. LDF and HDF are the light and heavier versions of this product. They all machine well and paint up well. MDF is very strong on the face but is susceptible to splitting at the edges. It cannot be side nail or screwed without special care as it will split.

Flakeboard aka particleboard is resin and saw dust made into sheet form. It is not as strong as MDF but is better for nailing and screwing. Flake board is the cheapest of the sheet goods and therefore is often used in poorly constructed low cost furniture and cabinetry. This has earned it a reputation for being a low quality material.

MDO medium density overlay aka sign board is plywood with a layer of resin impregnated MDF it is weather resistant and often comes preprimed. it is favored among sign makers.

OSB oriented strand board, aka chip boards looks like mulch glued into sheets. It is usually confined to the realm of rough contruction.

There is plenty more to know, but I'm sleepy.

David DeCristoforo
09-19-2009, 10:19 PM
FWIW. "melamine" is actually resin impregnated paper. It has become a generic term (much like "skill saw") that gets applied to any coated sheet goods. But many panels that are called "melamine" are technically not. Some coatings are simply vinyl applied to the substrate. Some are more like paint. Some are various resin compounds. The color layer on plastic laminate is "melamine". The "better quality" melamine panels will have a very similar coating. Like anything else, there are many levels of "quality". I keep putting that in quotes because I believe "quality melamine" to be an oxymoron.