PDA

View Full Version : Well, it finally happened to me. (pics)

Brad Noble
09-19-2009, 8:48 PM
So I have been waiting for what feels like years and years to find one of these and today I found it. I always felt like it would be the perfect size for my shop and it is. I was just hoping I could find one that was still working and found this.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0047.jpg

It even came with the original DeWalt cabinet with slide out drawer. Another view:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0050.jpg

And it also came with these hiding inside the drawer.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0049.jpg

Oh, if you look at the above picture way over to the right you can see a metal object. That would be the 'planer' attachment that came with the RAS. Has never been used. Also in the drawer were the original manuals and some additional paperwork that shows how to use the attachments.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0051.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot. How much did I pay for it?

$100.

I had a good day I think.

Brad

Peter Quinn
09-19-2009, 9:47 PM
Looks like a beauty Brad. Planer head? I can see why that might never get used! You may want to uphold that tradition! Enjoy that saw.

Mitchell Andrus
09-19-2009, 9:50 PM
Nice find. Don't plug it in til you get a guard. Even then..... RAS's scare me.

Dave Cav
09-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Other than needing to rebuild the table it looks like a great little saw and a really good deal. I can beat that, though. I got an identical setup with the cabinet last summer. I traded the owner two Stanley/Bailey hand planes, a #4 and #5, for it. He had an old Delta scroll saw I wanted, and he didn't have room for the RAS. It was a great saw and with a 54 tooth thin kerf blade it made glass smooth cuts. I recently sold it to a coworker as I already have two other 9" DeWalt saws, an MBC and MBF.

Matt Sollars
09-20-2009, 12:39 AM
....way to steal his thunder there Dave. nice.

Chris Tsutsui
09-20-2009, 2:58 AM
Nice Saw Brad, I was at sears today playing with a craftsman radial arm wondering if I would ever use one. For $100, you could give it a try, and resell it if you don't use it.

This is sort of off topic but it seems like some of the new craftsman machines are designed to "look good" rather than be simple, durable, and functional.

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 8:56 AM
Yeah, I plan to "uphold the tradition".

Brad

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 9:04 AM
I won't be selling this one. I've had a few RAS's, couple of them Dewalts but they were all too large for my shop. This little guy fits just fine.

Brad

Chuck Wintle
09-20-2009, 9:17 AM
which model is this saw? do you know the year of manufacture? Do you plan to restore it? :D

Michael Boyle
09-20-2009, 9:47 AM
Brad, Nice Score. Those old AMF DeWalts are a great RAS. Compared to the new Craftsman saws there is no comparison. The DeWalts are so much better made. I have a 1956 MBF that I really like. I have always thought that the model you just purchased would be even better, since it has more horsepower and a power take off. Really great purchase at a tremendous price.

Mike Cruz
09-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Nice gloat! Not a RAS man myself, but nice to see when people get the tool they've been looking for.

george wilson
09-20-2009, 1:41 PM
Very good deal. That saw screams 1960's in the design. Someone here recently had a 16"(?) Dewalt for sale for $750.00,I think. That was a really nice,very heavy duty saw. I just have no place to devote the space to a RAS,because the only thing I ever used the one at work for was cutting long boards up. I would get one if I had the room,though. I mostly make smaller items.

peter kolb
09-20-2009, 2:40 PM
Brad,
Concratulations-excellent saw.
I have owned the exact same saw. I purchased it new in 1959 and used it
till 1990.
Hopefully I can spare you some frustrations.
This saw HAS to set up properly. There is a procedure to do this.
You need to find a manual. If you have to pay for it-buy it.
The good news is that the machine is set up with gibbs on all
of the adjustments. If the adjustments are out of wack; the
saw is VERY DANGEROUS. This is the reason I got rid of it.
It excells at cross cutting with a conventional blade or a dado
daddo head.
Ripping is not particularly safe. There is a anti kick back device
that that attaches to the front of the blade guard. I severs two
functions: helps prevent kick back and more importantly shields the blade
from your hand. In this mode it is an example of saw set up. If not
set up properly and ripping a short piece; the saw will spin the work
and the possiblity of the hand following the work.
The saw can be set up as a disc sander. Dewalt marked a 9 inch
aluminum disc. Works well.
Despite the attachments availabe from Dewalt (I owned them all)
It's a lousy router and drill. Jointer and molding head IMHO are not
partically safe. The set up has to be EXACT. Peter

Basil Rathbone
09-20-2009, 3:15 PM
It's a 925H. The first 4 numbers on the motor plate are the year and month it was made. Probably 1959 or 1960. I have virtually the same saw and love it.

The manual can be downloaded from the OWWM site.

Chip Lindley
09-20-2009, 3:49 PM
Happy Day Brad! Glad you found what you have been looking for! It's a heavy-duty little saw for smaller needs!

IMO, companies who *re-invented" the RAS to do every kind of operation, did the saw a disservice! All those sanding/planing/mouldilng attachments are rather dangerous, and not very effective if you are working with *hard*wood! Even ripping is a PITA on an RAS, but can be done with proper hold-downs.

But, its a great little saw for crosscuts and miters up to its capacity!! Good Luck!

Chip Lindley
09-20-2009, 4:10 PM
Nice find. Don't plug it in til you get a guard. Even then..... RAS's scare me.

Michael, I see the blade guard in its proper place. Perhaps you meant those metal thingies which hang beneath the guard and only get in the way for measuring and setting up cuts?? By all means, if you are scared of machines don't use them. Disaster is emminent. But if you choose to, learn the tool, and USE it as intended, within its limitations.

Many are *scared* of horses, yet many others take off bareback riding the first time. I suppose what is meant for some is not meant for others...not without a change in mental attitude.

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 4:47 PM
Thank you Michael, I have longed for a 925H for years. But, trust me, if I had found a nice MBF or similar before I would have owned it.

Brad

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 4:47 PM
Nice gloat! Not a RAS man myself, but nice to see when people get the tool they've been looking for.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate it.

Brad

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 4:51 PM
Very good deal. That saw screams 1960's in the design.

It is a 1960 model!

I would get one if I had the room,though. I mostly make smaller items.

I'm currently making bandsawn boxes and I love the ability to cut rough lumber to length with it. Most of my rough stock comes in 8 - 10 ft lengths. Bandsaw boxes are a might shorter than that. :D

Brad

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 4:54 PM
Peter,

I have the manuals and will set it up as best I can. I have no plans to use the attachments that came with mine and I really don't ever plan to rip with it. I have a PM66 so ripping wood is covered.

Brad

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 4:57 PM
It's a 925H. The first 4 numbers on the motor plate are the year and month it was made. Probably 1959 or 1960. I have virtually the same saw and love it.

The manual can be downloaded from the OWWM site.

First four digits are 6010. October of 1960 by my calculations I have a downloaded copy of the manual I have had for a long time now but this saw came with the original manual.

Brad

Brad Noble
09-20-2009, 5:02 PM
Happy Day Brad! Glad you found what you have been looking for! It's a heavy-duty little saw for smaller needs!

But, its a great little saw for crosscuts and miters up to its capacity!! Good Luck!

Thanks Chip. I'm pretty happy with it.

Brad