PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying This Tool...

Guy Mathews
09-19-2009, 4:05 PM
Hi all,

Normally I am over at the CNC section but I find myself in need of help from the people who probably know best.

I do not know why they call this the Neanderthal Haven. Seems to me that the wisdom of a lifetime of hands on work and knowledge whould have a more respectable name! :D

Anyhow, can anyone positively identify this tool. There are no hallmarks or branding of any kind.

The handle is rosewood and it is about 6 inches in length. The chuck is very simple and the cap is threaded. To be honest, it is a work of art in my eyes. The cap twist on and off with such ease, you would never know it was made of wood.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Guy

jerry nazard
09-19-2009, 4:41 PM
OK, I'll take a wild guess. It could be a multi-purpose tool kit for chair repair. Several of the bits resemble caning chisels, and the awl bits, etc, could be used for repairing a chair seat. Just a guess.

Guy Mathews
09-19-2009, 5:00 PM
Jerry, your guess has got me closer. I believe you are onto something with the thought that this is for caning. I also Googled upholstery and leather awl. I still have not found one like this but I think you might be onto something.

This was actually in my grandfathers tool chest. Spoke shaves, draw knifes and old saws were hiding this. Of all the tools in my grandfathers old box, this is the only one I can not identify.

I hope someone sees this and has an ironclad answer for me.

Keith Young
09-19-2009, 5:13 PM
The Swiss Army knife of the early woodworker.:D:D
Looked on the Millers Falls web page but nothing there. There
are quite a few on flea bay that look close. My guess its just a handy tool to have in your tool box.

Keith Young
09-19-2009, 5:37 PM
Found one made by Stanley on Flea bay 320424978823,
it tells a little about that type of tool. Hope that helps.

Keith

george wilson
09-19-2009, 5:41 PM
It is a multi purpose "kit" of tools in a handle. Lots of them still around.

John McClanahan
09-19-2009, 6:07 PM
I have one just like it.

John

Jim Koepke
09-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I have always heard them called tool holders. Not sure if that is the correct name since it is a multi tool. I have seen them for a few different uses. This one look to have a few woodworking type tools such as a chisel, gouge, tack puller and gimlet. I have a few including one that looks to be for sail sewing.

jim

Gary Herrmann
09-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Yep, I've always heard them referred to as toolholders too. Mine is made by Miller Falls and is similar in appearance to yours.

Dan Andrews
09-23-2009, 5:50 AM
I have one that looks very much like yours except mine has a beach handle. Tools are mostly the same as yours. On the ferrule it says Buell Bros., Clinton Conn.

harry strasil
09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
There is a name for tools like that, but my memory fails me. Mine is a bridgeport, it has a screwdriver bit, an awl, a brad awl, a gimlet, a saw blade, a countersink, a chisel and a gouge, the handle is either cocobolo, or rosewood.

harry strasil
09-23-2009, 1:59 PM
picture of mine.

Ken Werner
09-23-2009, 2:47 PM
Early combination tool. I had one by Millers Falls. Never used it. I mean, it looks nice and all, but seems pretty bad at whatever use you would want a dedicated tool for.