PDA

View Full Version : Color fill Acrylic ???

Randy Digby
09-19-2009, 3:20 PM
Ok, I am NOT a craft type person. I'm a production guy, but I want to do some crafts now that I have the laser. I have read some of the posts on Rub n Buff relating to the removal of the excess and I just want to do a reality check. On engraved acrylic, I'm applying about 1/2 of a BB shot in volume, rubing it in with my finger and then after 17 seconds (more or less :-) ), I'm buffing the acrylic like crazy with an old wash rag trying to get the excess off -- and sometimes it works! Is this the same for all of you? It looks great when finished, if I get it clean..but man, what a chore.

Am I doing it right or am I missing some basics?

Phil Salvati
09-19-2009, 4:28 PM
I don't use R & B for acrylic.... I use vinyl application tape, laser through... and spray with a rattle can.

Very little to no clean up.

P

Steve Clarkson
09-19-2009, 5:18 PM
Phil,

Does vinyl application tape contain PVC? I assume not if you're lasering it. Where do you get it?

Thanks!

Scott Erwin
09-19-2009, 5:20 PM
Tape off the side you are going to engrave (usually the back) with vinyl application tape, engrave through the tape, remove the tape if needed where you vector cut) make sure you leave the backing tape in place, then paint. Wait for paint to set a few minutes, remove tape and there you go. This will allow the paint to loose some of its sharp edge.

If done correctly and there are no leaks from tape, there will be NO clean-up needed.

Good Luck !

Scott Erwin
09-19-2009, 5:24 PM
Phil,

Does vinyl application tape contain PVC? I assume not if you're lasering it. Where do you get it?

Thanks!

No PVC in it at all....

Sign Shops or you can order it from your sign supplier. It comes in several different sizes and types. For acrylic for this type of use, I use the high tack stuff. The higher the better. For my vinyl sign applications I use medium tack. I have used both but high tack seems to be a little better so it doesnt lift after lasering it.

Randy Digby
09-19-2009, 5:32 PM
I'm running a part in the laser now with tape. I'm doing the front side on this one just to see what happens. The part has some small text so.... Will let you know in a while.

Edit...UGH Think I sprayed too much paint. Got a fan on it..we'll see...

Randy Digby
09-19-2009, 5:46 PM
All I had was some black spray paint on clear acrylic..not a good combo. I had a skinny font and all of the paint pulled out of one of the "y"'s. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough...was afraid to let it set too long. I'll get some white paint soon and try again. Other than weeding (I hate weeding small text), it looks good. The small graphic shapes came out ok.

Just got to get it down.

Thanks,

AL Ursich
09-19-2009, 6:59 PM
About 8 years ago I saw Mike from Laser Bits do the Laser and color fill at a ARA show and he used a phone book as the wiping cloth.... Laying the item on the page face down. Then just rip out the page.

AL

Rodne Gold
09-19-2009, 9:44 PM
You will have limited success if using a solvent based paint and you use self adhesive application tape as a resist ..
Solvent based paints can also cause issues if applied to some acrylic after lasering in that it promotes stress cracking , as can solvents.
You need to laser fairly deeply to use wax and paint fills without the cleaning process removing em , apart from which , no matter what you do , huge areas of solid fills will result in some "scooping" when cleaning (Way to stop this is to use 1/2 tone engraving and not solid)
For most paints , do not use solvents like thinners to clean excess...use meths as its much more gentle and doesnt destroy the paint gloss of fills.
Cut a piece of pex in a square and use scrap cloth from t-shirts (not fluffy) in a single layer over it wrapped real tight and then moisten with the solvent you use...
If flood filling with paint , then use a piece of card with a straight cut edge to scrape excess off.
If doing multiple colour fills ..you have to use masking to block off areas before and after you fill.
Turps is what works best to remove excess wax fills
To remove most paper based application tapes..dont bother to weed it , just wet it and it rolls off with your hand in a few secs

Kimberly Connor
09-21-2009, 9:41 AM
I use R&B all the time on my acrylic to fill the lettering. My little secret is when it doesn't wipe right off I use the Magic Eraser that I can purchase at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. It is used for walls, etc to get scuff marks off. It doesn't hurt my acrylic and it gets everything off. Just don't push really hard when you are using it.

Thanks!
Kim