PDA

View Full Version : Signfoam board

Mike Christen
09-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I've been looking at this product for a little while for laser engraving and found this company that will provide samples, local supplier doesn't. I requested samples on their site and received 3 of them approximately 8"x8" about 3 days later along with information. It seems that its mainly for router engraving but i am also hoping it will work with lasers. Hoping to find something that engraves 3d projects well, mostly looking for good depth with out multi passes. Haven't tried it yet but wanted everyone know if interested in getting free :D samples.

Here is the site in case anyone else is interested,
http://www.signfoam.com/
click on the sample tab for request

Phil Salvati
09-19-2009, 4:33 PM
Mike,

I use it often with the router table, never used it in the laser.... I haven't checked the make up of it personally...but I am almost positive it has PVC in it.

P

Rudy Ress
09-19-2009, 4:51 PM
Under the technical information section of this is what they say:

Cutting: Warning: It is recommended that you do not use any heat related cutting devices (i.e. hot wire, laser cutter, etc.) on SIGN•FOAM3.

Scott Shepherd
09-19-2009, 8:07 PM
I called one of the manufacturers some time ago and got to a technical person and I told him the problem with PVC in the laser and he hesitated and said that he would not recommend it, so I stayed away from it. Then, last year at a sign convention, one of the laser manufacturers was cutting in it on the demo. I spoke to them about it and they said "we use it all the time". I believe that was Design Board, which is a brand name of the foam. My suggestion would be call your laser manufacturer and get the info from them.

Larry Bratton
09-19-2009, 9:03 PM
Most likely some can and some can't. Check this FAQ for Precision Board-Number 10, says it can. I ran a sheet on my CNC yesterday-sweet.

http://www.precisionboard.com/NEW%20SIGN/SignageFAQ.pdf

Steve knight
09-19-2009, 11:16 PM
sintra is pvc based. it does cut great on my cnc.

Larry Bratton
09-20-2009, 2:39 PM
Sintra is not the same product. Sintra is a PVC product. Foam board (HDU) is High Density Urethane. I have also cut lots of blue insulation foam board in my laser. Cuts nicely.
I process PVC on my CNC but I use Celtec. It produces very nice signs, takes paint very well and is economical. Celtec can be used outside where some pvc substrates cannot.