PDA

View Full Version : got it now what to do.

Norris Randall
09-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Dear Creekers,
Yesterday Fri 18 I got these two cedar logs just after the tree hit the ground. They laid out in the rain since then.

I don't have much time at the present so I'm asking what is the best way (quick fix)to treat these so I can get some turning blanks.

Thanks to all suggestions.

curtis rosche
09-19-2009, 10:49 AM
send them to me, i will take good care of them :) seal all ends and anything that shows a pith with a sealer of some sort. anchorseal works best, paint will work sometimes too

Ted Calver
09-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Leave them in log form, store off the ground and anchorseal the ends and branch stubs...twice.

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Agree with Ted! Leave in log form, seal the ends - including where the branches were cut off, store off the ground and out of direct sunlight if possible.

Congrats on what looks to be some beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Norris Randall
09-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Thank you for your prompt replies.
I'll go seal now with some old paint. Edit (back inside got one end sealed and rain started again)
One more question.
How long should I let them wait before cutting into blanks?

PS Curtis I don't deliver, BUT if you would like to come on
down to Alabama I'll help load and then I'll pick up after you
have them "cured" properly. (with no cracks or checks):D
We'll go halves.:):)

And Steve,
I'd like to see you work sometime.
With all the wonderful pieces you show us and
all the great replies and other postings it would be
interesting to watch you turn with one hand and type
with the other. Is that how you get so much done?:D

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Norris - if using paint - make sure you check on it a few times and make sure that the wood remains sealed. Once cracks start to form it is very hard to stop.

Leave the wood in log form until you have time to rough out what ever it is you are going to turn. Then - just cut off as much as you are going to rough - seal the rest until next time. Leaving the wood in log form - with bark intact - allows the wood to dry at a slowed rate and less likely to check on you when sealed properly.

Have fun with it!