PDA

View Full Version : Delta P20 Scroll Saw

mickey cassiba
09-19-2009, 10:33 AM
One of the tools I purchased while in the Delta Recon shop is a 40-680. Have only used it to verify that it functions. I've read mixed reviews, and am wondering if any of you care to offer your comments/advice. It'll be used for home/hobby work.

John Terefenko
09-19-2009, 11:10 AM
One of the tools I purchased while in the Delta Recon shop is a 40-680. Have only used it to verify that it functions. I've read mixed reviews, and am wondering if any of you care to offer your comments/advice. It'll be used for home/hobby work.

It was back in the day one of the most talked about saws. I do not like a saw where I have to change speeds by moving belts. I won't even buy a lathe like that. Usually you set it at one speed and it stays there anyway. Just keep it oiled and use it. It may take some getting used to those type blade clamps. Inever did like those. That is delta trademark though. Good luck. It will be an antique one day because they do not make them any more. So if you keep it for about 40 or 50 years it might be worth something. Hope you get many hours of relaxing fun with it. Show some photos of your projects too.

mickey cassiba
09-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Just unpacked it after five years in storage. Oiled it up, set it on the stand(unggh), and polished down the table. I've got some mesquite flooring scrap(1/2") I'd like to try it out on. Any recs on free patterns, (my economy's worse than the national average right now) Also tips & pointers as to care and feeding, as I am a complete novice to scrolling, would be gratefully accepted.Will post pics when I get the camera card reader working again. Computer's old, like everything else around here!

Stephen Edwards
09-19-2009, 3:49 PM
Best thing that I know to tell you is to check out this guy for blades:

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

His site is interesting, too, especially his life story. If you're gonna do scroll saw work, you should check out the blades he sells. He'll even send you a couple of samples for free. Once you use them, you'll probably never want any other kind of blade. Surprisingly, the blades that I get from him are less expensive than the blades available at local hardware stores and borgs in my area.

I don't work for the guy, I just like his blades!

mickey cassiba
09-19-2009, 7:58 PM
Wow! The prices at Mikes are great! Less for a dozen than I paid for a pack of five at the local big box.
Thanks Stephen
BTW I'm a Tennessee (Jackson) transplant. Go figure, I work in Alamo TX.
Remember what happened to the last Volunteers that went to ALAMO???

Stephen Edwards
09-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow! The prices at Mikes are great! Less for a dozen than I paid for a pack of five at the local big box. Thanks Stephen BTW I'm a Tennessee (Jackson) transplant. Go figure, I work in Alamo TX. Remember what happened to the last Volunteers that went to ALAMO???

I do barely remember what happened at the Alamo! That was a long time ago. I was just a kid, then!

You'll love the blades from Mike. What a selection, too, huh? I didn't know what to order so I told him what I'd be using them for and he set me up. I think I paid around $11.00 for 3 dozen blades, shipping included.

When you get them, they'll seem awfully small compared to what you've been getting at the hardware store. Don't let that worry you. Those suckers will slice through 3/4 hardwood as if it were butter, pretty smooth cut, too.

I got 2 dozen of the blades that have the teeth reversed, I think, every 3 teeth. This means that they're cutting on the up and down stroke.

John Terefenko
09-20-2009, 9:38 AM
I will definetly second the site choice and the Flying Dutchman blades. To me they are and have been the best blades on the market. There is a wide selection so do tell him what you are planing on cutting. He also sells John Nelson's begginer book that could be a big help to you. If you have questions as you start to use the saw just jump in here and someone will answer. Good luck and have fun