PDA

View Full Version : In need of vector file

Mike Christen
09-19-2009, 9:58 AM
Hello all

I was asked to make a plaque commemorating a performance of the West Side Story. I would like to use a vector file of a city scape, on acrylic mirror which would be cutout and engraved to produce a 3d effect. There will be an area on the outside edge for the cast and crew to autograph.

I have many city scape pictures but no vector files which i would need for cutouts. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

Margaret Turco
09-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a neat project! I haven't even looked at this, but there was another post on this subject here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116323&highlight=York

Mike Null
09-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Here's one I drew several years ago for a NYC customer.

Mike Christen
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Margaret

Thanks for the reply. That may work but I was hoping for something with more detail like maybe windows in buildings etc. I'm planing on making it around 24"x18" in size. I searched google and so far have not found anything. If no one has anything I will take one of the pictures and create the outline. Trying to make this something awesome, wish my talents were as good as my ideas :o

Thanks again

Mike Christen
09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Mike

Thanks, that's getting close to what I'm looking for, I'll try working with it. I'm planning on also cutting out the West Side Story text in different color fluorescent, transparent, acrylic and mounting above the city scape. Trying to make this multi level.

Thanks again

Garrett Nors
09-19-2009, 1:20 PM
Mike, here are a few vectorized brushes I have in photoshop.......maybe they'll help you.

http://www.afetrophyshop.com/scott/bldg2.eps

They didn't vector very well all put together like that, but if you can use the raw images, here they are:

http://www.afetrophyshop.com/scott/bldg2.jpg

If you find one you like and need help vectoring it let me know and I'll make it happen.

Mike Christen
10-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Finished the award/plaque and the customer was very happy with it, called it a piece of art. The outside will be autographed by performers and crew and presented to the director so the matting board should work out well. Looks much better than the pictures, should have taken better pics but time was short. Has a total of 6 layers of different materials, all laser cut / engraved. hard to tell in pictures but the background blue is mirror acrylic, really sets it off nicely. Everything set in 20"20" shadow box frame.

Thanks to all for the input and help.

Anthony Welch
10-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Outstanding. Very good work Mike.
You've given me ideas.

Thanks!

Anthony

Steve Clarkson
10-04-2009, 1:17 PM
Mike......that is REALLY nice!!!!!

OK, the blue mirror I see.....but what materials did you use for the buikdings and everything else?

Mike Christen
10-04-2009, 2:04 PM
Mike......that is REALLY nice!!!!!

OK, the blue mirror I see.....but what materials did you use for the buikdings and everything else?

I used solid red acrylic for the letters and dancers (dancers painted white), mounted all the individual pieces on clear acrylic cut smaller to hold it all together in one piece. The clear acrylic worked well since it is hard to see, only part that is visible is very small tabs that connect all the different pieces together.

The building are cut from Rowmark black/white and brushed silver/black.

Frank Corker
10-04-2009, 4:39 PM
Great job Mike!

Steve Clarkson
10-04-2009, 7:30 PM
Thanks for sharing.....very impressive!