PDA

View Full Version : Frat Signs

Keith Outten
09-19-2009, 9:51 AM
I made nine of these signs for the Fraternities and Sororities in our Greek Village at CNU. The plaques are polished dark blue Azure colored Corian, the white chisel letters were machined from Glacier White Corian and the 3D banners were made from 1" thick PVC.

I used upper and lower french cleats made from scrap Corian for hangers, they were pinned using stainless steel cap screws threaded into the Corian. Nothing to rust or rot, these should last 50 years :)

BTW Azure is a discontinued color, there are still a few distributors who have some in stock but it won't be available much longer :(

Mike Null
09-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Keith

Those are terrific.

Joe Pelonio
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
That's a nice color, too bad they have discontinued it, but it's probably not popular for kitchens.:D

Beautiful work, especially great work on the banners!

Keith Outten
09-20-2009, 7:52 AM
Honestly I can't believe how many hours I spent working on these signs. Polishing the plaques took a day and a half and the banners took 3 hours each to machine. Even the install is taking more time than I anticipated, I was exhausted Friday afternoon after installing just five signs. The brick walls aren't flat so each set of French cleats had to be adjusted carefully to maintain alignment so the cap screws would line up with the tapped holes. Every time I got my scaffold setup and was ready to work a student would need to get either in or out of the doorway, my legs are so stiff I can barely walk from climbing up and down :( It's too bad I didn't get these installed before the students moved in.

I really like this design and the students were very appreciative based on the nice comments I received........but this is one of those giving blood types of jobs. Monday will be a long day finishing the install.

Joe, the banners really make these signs pop. I could have used any number of alternate techniques but I was told to make something nice. This has been my first 3D experience on a production job and I learned a couple of things. The first lesson is never use PVC if you have to machine text, it doesn't machine cleanly enough or I selected the wrong router bit. I should have glued two pieces of white Corian together to get the necessary 1" thickness.