PDA

View Full Version : Tent sale rant

Rick Moyer
09-19-2009, 9:38 AM
I just got back from the Muncy Fall tent sale. Yes, it is only 9:10 am Eastern time. Muncy is about a thirty-five minute drive from here. I arrived about 8:05-8:10. This was not my first tent sale so I knew many folks get there early before they open up, but I was only interested in a table saw IF they happened to have what I wanted, so I didn't have the desire to get there in the middle of the night to be first in line. well there were already so many people inside that you couldn't see the tools for the people. The saws and other things were in the first tent you come to and it was so crowded you could barely move around. I noticed that probably 80% of the tags already had "sold" written on them. I don't know if they let people in early or not, but 8:10 was already too late. I walked around some other areas just to see what deals there might be but I didn't want to fight the crowds anymore, especially since there was nothing else I had to have. At 8:20 I went back to the first tent and it was only 20% as full as it was ten minutes earlier, as most of the "good" stuff had already been tagged as sold. I left a few minutes later.

I should point out that other times I went to the sale I DID buy some items at decent prices, but these were from the vendors who come in and often have some specials; and I was needing some things then, too. This year seemed to be more crowded. Possibly given the economy, folks are really looking for bargains.

So if you are contemplating going to one of Grizzly's tent sales in the future, I would highly recommend getting there very early, maybe camp out in the lot, and get in line "I don't know how early" to be one of the first in line if you are planning to purchase a larger tool. I will say that there were some deals if you got there in time to get them. As stated I mainly was looking at table saws. There were a few 1023S's that were new without the boxes for $100 less, as well as some saws that had various dents, scratches, mising whatever for something reasonably less, but again most had been sold already. I don't think I'll be going back to another tent sale unless I feel like camping out (unlikely), or unless I just want to look around and maybe get a smaller bargain on misc. items.

This is in no way a bad reflection on Grizzly or their tent sale; they run things pretty well in my prior experiences. I just don't feel the discounts are worth my time and effort to get them, but your mileage may vary. You might find the deal your seeking if you're willing to do the legwork.

Chris Harry
09-19-2009, 9:44 AM
This sounds like Black Friday shopping at Best Buy/Target/Walmart, etc.

I did it once and Ill never do it again. The money saved is not worth the time I have to invest sitting out in the freezing cold with hundreds of other people.

Ill never be able to attend a Grizzly tent sale (Im in CT), but it sure sounds similar to BF shopping to me.

Montgomery Scott
09-19-2009, 11:42 AM

I did it once and Ill never do it again. The money saved is not worth the time I have to invest sitting out in the freezing cold with hundreds of other people.

Ill never be able to attend a Grizzly tent sale (Im in CT), but it sure sounds similar to BF shopping to me.

+1.

Instead of spending 6 hours waiting in line to save $200 I could go to work and make $600+. Seems like a no brainer where one's time is better spent. I've never been to a Griz tent sale, though they are only 1.5 hours away and I don't intend on ever doing so.

Dave Cav
09-19-2009, 2:31 PM
This has been brought up a number of times before, and I, as many others, have been cured after attending one event. Grizzly promotes the tent sales VERY heavily, and they get a huge turnout of a lot of people that normally wouldn't look twice at Grizzly (or any other) tools. The time and effort spent to get there early would rarely be made up in any $$$ savings. What I wish Griz would do is keep the Bellingham store open on Saturdays. That would probably considerably lighten my wallet, but it would also probably increase their sales as well.

Jim Koepke
09-19-2009, 2:44 PM
there were already so many people inside that you couldn't see the tools for the people ... I didn't want to fight the crowds anymore. I left a few minutes later.

This year seemed to be more crowded. Possibly given the economy, folks are really looking for bargains.

It could be for some, the economy has turned a corner and they can now afford to appease some of their pent up desires.

I recall Christmas shopping at a mall one year. It was very crowded. I was pushed, I was shoved, I was groped, I was fondled!!! ... I went back the next day for more.

OK, that is a take on a David Letterman story.

jim

Rick Moyer
09-19-2009, 3:28 PM
What I wish Griz would do is keep the Bellingham store open on Saturdays. That would probably considerably lighten my wallet, but it would also probably increase their sales as well.

That's one nice thing about Muncy, they are open Saturdays. I decided that I would just call and order the saw that I wanted when I got home, as I'm sure the inside checkout was busy too. Unfortunately the call center is down BECAUSE of the tent sale today, so I sent a fax hoping to still get the sale pricing. Hopefully this will work. I could have just ordered online, but I want to pay by check when I pick up at the store next week.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2009, 7:54 PM
I attend the Springfield sale each year.

I don't go early. Usually arrive at 9 or 10, then pick over whats left.

Picked up a GO490 jointer last time. $95.00

After $200.00 worth of parts, it made a very good jointer which I now use.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-19-2009, 8:26 PM

Amen...hate crowds! I would pay 5% more just to miss the waiting time involved. I stopped going to woodworking shows as well. Their 'deals' are about as good as the state fair 'deals'.

Andrew Schlosser
09-20-2009, 7:59 AM
I've picked up a 1023 and a bandsaw at 2 different sales over the last 5 years at Muncy. Can't explain why my TS didn't get picked up before I got to it, but was only missing the posts for the crank wheels. $20 of parts for 50% off a $900 machine.
This years BS purchase was without a stand (down the line for $20) and so was sitting on the floor, so I think it was out of most people's eyesight! Another 50% off deal!

But I agree, I think I've just been really lucky.

Andrew

Josh Reet
09-21-2009, 5:45 PM
Being fairly new to woodworking, I've never been to a Grizzly tent sale (though I probably would win the "closest to a grizzly location" contest if the forum had one). But I have to agree with the "not worth it to me" statements of those above. Oh, I'll probably drive by the tent sale when it comes around again just because it's so close. But I'm not waiting in some line for hours to save a few bucks.

At some point, the whole thing just becomes more than I want to deal with. I love a bargain as much as anyone, and I work hard to find the best deals for my limited budget in whatever area I am buying (cars, computers, tools, etc). But at some point, my general happiness means more than saving some cash. Fighting the crowds on black friday just to save $150 on an LCD TV? Heck no. That just isn't worth it to me. Yeah, I'd like to have the $150 in my pocket. But I'd also rather not drive myself mad.

Now, of course this is one of those things that changes as the $$ amount goes up. I'll jump through a lot more hoops to save $1000 than I will $100. But the principle is the same. I'd rather have to work a little harder and save a little more than make myself unhappy.

scott spencer
09-21-2009, 6:11 PM
I've always approached the tent sales with a "roadtrip" attitude, and go with a buddy. We've always enjoyed the experience. The crowds thin early, providing a great chance to see the showroom and other vendor's stuff....kind of like a WWing Show. I'm sure if I went counting on getting a deal on a piece of machinery, I'd be disappionted...it's amazing what people will do to get a deal, and it usually leaves all of a few seconds to make a decision on a major tool if you're even lucky enough to find a tool on your list.