PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Something

George Bledsoe
09-16-2004, 3:55 PM
I live in the heart of Black Walnut country and have cut a fair amount of free logs
I have recently gotten some additional walnut logs. I have some walnut already and have about 1000 bdft to cut. I also have a couple smaller logs that someone gave me (sight unseen) that I will get cut up in the fall. They look like good logs although not real big

Here is my idea, I would like to give some of the smaller stuff away, I don't really deal much with short logs, they are difficult to stack in with longer boards and as a rule I try not to mill the short stuff. I will get these cut up and would like to see someone that doesn't have access to cheap walnut get the wood and make something with the lumber. I am not looking for people who want to add to thier stash. I am looking for the less fortunate among us that doesn't have any walnut and can't stomach the high price that some folks seem to charge. The one catch is I would hope that we would get to see photo's of the finished product.

I am not even sure if anybody would be interested so I see what happens

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 4:41 PM
George,

This is a mighty fine gesture by you. You might try posting in the Classified section, too. I think the subject line of "Free Walnut in Iowa" might draw a lot of interest.

Shawn Battagler
09-16-2004, 5:33 PM
I don't exactly consider myself less fortunate, but I do have a family to support, and more wants than cash. And the price of lumber is hard for me to stomach. Does that count?
I don't have a stash of anything except scraps that most folks would have thrown out already.
If you're looking for someone who will make use of the lumber (and post pics), I may be your guy. Of course it would be a long enough road trip that it would take some coordination and planning. Where are you - how long from KC? I would have to add 3 hours to whatever that is. And how much lumber are you talking about, and in what sizes? Not being a choosy beggar mind you - just getting the facts straight. What about drying - I don't know anything about it.

Paul Downes
09-16-2004, 8:08 PM
Mighty nice of you George. My neighbor stoped by yesterday upon seeing me working on the used outdoor wood boiler I am refurbishing and told me I could have three trees he was going to bulldoze. I went over today and cut down 3 nice walnut trees. Got 8 logs of various length. (Gloat) :D :D :D . At the rate I've been droping logs I went and picked up 5 aluminum 8020 rails 9 ft. long to use as guides for an Alaskan saw mill clone a friend of mine built, but never used. I can't afford to keep paying someone else to saw my logs, so now I will venture into the sawmill end of things. :D I think I need a kiln..........

Dan Gill
09-17-2004, 10:06 AM
That's generous of you, and a great thing. I hate the thought of good wood going to waste, or to compost.

If anyone comes up with some of this free lumber in the North Texas area (I don't know - maybe a big post oak or mesquite?), be sure and let us Texans know. I've been watching for somebody clearing out a big mesquite, but all I've seen have been the scrubby variety that might be useful for turning, but won't make lumber.