PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Cleaner Quit

Leigh Costello
09-19-2009, 12:20 AM
With a poof of ozone and blue sparks, my 22-year-old Kirby quit. Repairs begin at $212.00 for electric motor parts and some clickety-clackety noise reducing parts. I am willing to change brands, but not ready to fork out a ton of money.

So, I am hoping you all can help me by sharing your opinions on vacuum cleaners you have and/or have used.

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
09-19-2009, 12:34 AM
With several 80' tall firs, needles dropping all over, and two dogs to track them in (and drop their fur) we finally bit the bullet and bought a really good one after wearing out 3 that just didn't do the job in about 8 years. I think we paid over $500 but well worth it. It's a Prolux 1400 by Electrolux, commercial. I see here they are now less, $450. On the others the needles would clog, and take the belts off, this one sucks without anything getting into the 'works.' Four years and no problems.

http://vacuum-sale.com/commercial/mach_detail.asp?brand=Electrolux&Model=1400X&ProductType=Commercial+Vacuum+Cleaners

Chris Kennedy
09-19-2009, 7:08 AM
After buying a $300 Hoover and having it die way too soon, my sister and SIL having similar experiences, we splurged on a Dyson. The thing rocks.

Chris

Leigh Costello
09-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks, gentleman. I will now go shopping, armed with information.

David G Baker
09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I buy Dirt Devil vacs for under $150, use them for 3-4 years and then buy a new one. I have a house keeper that does a serious vacuum every Thursday on just under 800 square feet of carpet. She has yet to burn out a vacuum but they get clogged with threads or whatever and go out and buy her a new one, take the clogged up one and clean it, unclog it and keep it as a spare.

Greg Peterson
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
My wife runs our Eureka for two to three hours straight. I've warned her that the unit is not commercial grade and wasn't designed to run that long.

Last weekend it died. She had a shocked look on her face as if this was a total surprise.

Anyone have any experience with a whole house vacuum system? I'm seriously considering installing one.

David Dockstader
09-19-2009, 2:09 PM
When I sold Kirby's (the summer before my freshman year of college), they came with a "lifetime guarantee." Now, granted, that was well before you bought your Kirby 22 years ago, but did you ask them about that?

David G Baker
09-19-2009, 4:25 PM
When I first got married (the first time) my wife bought an Eureka vacuum, it was armor plated. It was the barrel type, it lasted for years and never died. It got so pathetic looking that we junked it and bought another one. My second wife was another Eureka believer. She had one when we met. It lasted for around 20 years before it finally died and was replaced with a Dirt Devil. Been a Dirt Devil user ever since.

Jon Grider
09-21-2009, 7:53 PM
We had a Kirby for many years...a good vacuum though most of the gadgets that came with the expensive kit remained unused. When the Kirby died, we bought a $400 Royal,which was a Kirby upright look alike. Having owned the Royal for several years now, I would not recommend that vacuum to anyone. It constantly needs attention. It clogs easily, pops the on board breakers routinely, and does an inferior job on the carpets. We paid 50 bucks to have the handle lock repaired, and it broke again a few weeks later. A vacuum I can recommend is the Panasonic upright. My sister in law has had one for more than 10 years, and needed a minor repair,so she was thinking of replacing it. The repairman told her to fix the Panasonic because it was a great vac and should last for her another 10 years.

Joe Mioux
09-21-2009, 8:39 PM
With a poof of ozone and blue sparks, my 22-year-old Kirby quit. Repairs begin at $212.00 for electric motor parts and some clickety-clackety noise reducing parts. I am willing to change brands, but not ready to fork out a ton of money.

So, I am hoping you all can help me by sharing your opinions on vacuum cleaners you have and/or have used.

Thanks!

festool, mini ;)

curtis rosche
09-21-2009, 8:58 PM
my mom still has an original kerby. heavy old thing. try a dyson, they work like a dream

kenmiller saas
09-22-2009, 1:48 AM

Thanks!

Good idea. Repair it if you not spend money, don't go for new brands.....

Belinda Barfield
09-22-2009, 7:43 AM
Leigh,

I'm going to share with you my secret for making your vacuum cleaner last forever . . . don't use it! Never turn it on! LOL Seriously, my mother swears by her Oreck and the woman knows vacuuming. She vacuums the lint filter for the dryer, she vacuums electrical outlets - I did not inherit her love of cleaning. Personally, I'd go for the Dyson . . . if I ever decide to vacuum . . . if ever.

Once upon a time there was a man in my life who asked the same question whenever I touched a broom, "Where are you going?" If I pulled out the vacuum he would always say, "Long trip this time?" Amazingly enough, he thought he was quite amusing.

Anyone have any experience with a whole house vacuum system? I'm seriously considering installing one.

Greg,

I had a whole house system at one point and I loved it! Everything went to the canister in the basement so no teeny dust particles from the exhaust. It was really nice not having to lug the vacuum up and down the stairs. Your wife will thank you!

Chris Kennedy
09-22-2009, 8:47 AM
For what it's worth, the Big Lots flyer in the newspaper this weekend showed a regular Dyson for $250, which is a pretty good deal. Don't know if it is everywhere.

Cheers,

Chris

Doug Shepard
09-22-2009, 9:22 AM
+1 on the Dyson. Mine sucks up a full cannister of dog & cat hair every week and sucks up dirt my old Hoover never managed to get. The newer Dyson ball type look pretty interesting but I haven't tried that type.

Larry Wadman
09-22-2009, 9:39 AM
I have a had central vacs in the last three houses over a 20+ years (eltrolux and Nutone). This house I had to install two separate units because of the floor plan and not being able to get from one side of the house to the other. One drum in the garage the other in an attic. Both get exhausted outside. My vote is to go central.

Lee Schierer
09-22-2009, 9:52 AM
We have a whole house system that I installed myself. My wife loves it. She hated our Kirby. The only problem with a whole house system is remembering to empty it once in a while. We have a dog and a cat ansd I swear everytime I empty the vacuum there is enough fur in it to make two cats.

Neal Clayton
09-22-2009, 2:28 PM
how much are you guys paying for these whole house systems?

only reason for asking is a maid cleans my house every week for 25 bucks an hour, usually takes her two of em. there are alot of creative ways to earn a couple grand extra per year, and for people that loathe cleaning, it's money well spent ;).

Belinda Barfield
09-22-2009, 2:36 PM
how much are you guys paying for these whole house systems?

only reason for asking is a maid cleans my house every week for 25 bucks an hour, usually takes her two of em. there are alot of creative ways to earn a couple grand extra per year, and for people that loathe cleaning, it's money well spent ;).

And now Neal the truth comes out . . . I'm one of those people who would have to clean the house before the maid came to clean. For heaven's sake, I can't have a maid thinking my house is dirty! :eek: I don't really loathe cleaning once I get started. It just seems like there are so many better things to do than clean. Besides, my dust bunnies don't bother me if I don't bother them. :)

Scott Donley
09-22-2009, 3:23 PM
just seems like there are so many better things to do than clean. Besides, my dust bunnies don't bother me if I don't bother them. :) I could not agree more :D

Ben Franz
09-22-2009, 5:47 PM
I can only offer this advise: Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you waste even $1 on any product from Dirt Devil. Bought one a year ago when $ were tight and we needed a quick replacement. This thing clogs if you look at it cross-eyed. Supposed to be good for pet hair - that's a laugh. Eats belts regularly, brush roller self-destructed after 6 months, need screwdriver, long flex-shaft, big bottle of aspirin and patience of a saint to unclog. Have I mentioned that I don't recommend Dirt Devil?

Rod Sheridan
09-22-2009, 8:10 PM
Leigh, as a long time Kirby owner, I'd repair the Kirby.

Purchasing disposable vacuum after disposable vacuum just adds to our ecological and economic woes.

After 22 years you can put some money into the Kirby, employ a fellow American to repair it, and avoid shipping your hard earned capital to China.

Regards, Rod.

Bryan Burns
09-26-2009, 8:47 AM
I also recommend the Dyson. Ours is about 5 years old and it's the only vacuum I've ever had that I didn't dislike 6 months after buying it.

And I had some top rated ones Kenmore, Panasonic, Eureka and Hoover. Oddly, Consumer Reports doesn't like the Dyson (it's always in the middle of the pack) and usually puts a Kenmore first. Well, I had two Kenmores and didn't like them.

Well, as this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dyson) shows, the Dyson was designed for great suction. Seems like a no brainer, but that's what consumers want in a vacuum but the majors seem blind to it. Dyson is now eating up their market share. Why? Because they vacuums really suck:D.

I have no affiliatation with Dyson and never looked it up on wikipedia until I started composing this thread...

Greg Peterson
09-26-2009, 12:21 PM
The other evening on the evening commute home, wife told me she had reconsidered the central vacuum idea.

Our house is a really small single level unit with a 'basement' (dirt floor and you can't stand fully upright in parts of it, unless your under 5'6"). Vacuum runs will be very short and with 30' of hose, two inlets will be more than ample to cover the floor plan.

The unit I ordered uses a cyclone. No filters to replace! And it holds over six gallons of dirt. Not sure how much (or little) fur that translates to. Looking forward to the convenience of the central unit. I may even give it a try.

The floor canister we have exhausts a lot of very warm air and blows the dust and fur around. The central unit won't kick up a dust storm and redistribute fine particles.

AND with the unit located outside of the living quarter and running at 58 dB, I'll be able to nap through a vacuuming session!:D

Plus, when my Dust Deputy shows up next week I'll be able to use it as a teaching tool. When she asks how much did it cost, I'll be able to turn that lemon into lemon aid. "You were probably wondering how cyclonic filtration words. See dear, apple of my eye, love of my life, have you lost weight?, This is how cyclonic action works".

Did you catch the minor gloat? Unintentional. Almost.

Eric Larsen
09-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I for one can't stand the Dyson models. I think they're too heavy. The ball thing isn't "all that" as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to go up in the attic now that it's cooled off somewhat and see what kind of nightmare it would be to retrofit a central vacuum system. My aunt has one, and I think they're worth every penny.

Since I don't have any carpet in the house (I hate the stuff), I won't need to worry about powered brush heads and such. It's just the bother of running pvc pipe through the walls and attic. I'm sure the monkeys who framed my house left all kinds of surprises for me.

Paul Ryan
09-26-2009, 4:50 PM
After years of experience with friends selling vacuums, my mothers experiences, and my own. I say fix the kirby, they will last forever if you take care of them but things do wear out over time. The dysons are nice but for what you spend they can't be fixed and don't work anybetter than the others. I other choices are a Riccar or Simplicity, they are the same thing. Those are awesome vacuums, they will suck up packed into carpet celulose insulation. Between a kirby, riccar, or simplicity they are all industrial vacuums. What is nice is they are repairable. Unlike most other crap that is out there today.

We quit buying cheap hoovers, and eurekas a couplr of years ago and bought a used $700 simplicty off ebay for $50. After a tune up new belt filters and bag my wife was amazed. The crap that came out of our carpets was unbelieveable. A vacuum is no different than good tools, it will save you money and headaches in future if you buy a good one to start.

$212 for a 22 year old vaccum is not bad. A $500 dyson will last 5-10 years and is in the garbage after that. The 22 year old kirby is essentially the same as a new one. I would fix the kirby in heart beat. But if you are dead set on a new vacuum check out kirby, but they will run thousands, or Riccar you can get a good new riccar for $5-700 and about the same for a simplicity.

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2009, 6:44 PM
Visit your local reputable pawn shop. I got the LOML a nice replacement vacuum for $15. It had been in someone storage for a year, new and unused.

They pawn guy said that a week earlier, I could have had a $500 Dyson for $60.

Neal Clayton
09-26-2009, 11:38 PM
And now Neal the truth comes out . . . I'm one of those people who would have to clean the house before the maid came to clean. For heaven's sake, I can't have a maid thinking my house is dirty! :eek: I don't really loathe cleaning once I get started. It just seems like there are so many better things to do than clean. Besides, my dust bunnies don't bother me if I don't bother them. :)

you know, belinda, it's funny i catch myself doing the same thing. and i'm not a dirty person, i know people with dogs and kids running around breaking stuff all the time, so i'm sure the maids see much worse in other houses.

but i try not to leave too many dishes for them, as if they care (i'm sure they don't :rolleyes:)

Greg Peterson
09-30-2009, 12:28 AM
So I told the wife that the central vacuum shipped out last Friday. Tonight when we pulled up from our evening commute, there on the porch was the Oneida Dust Deputy that I had ordered several days before the central vacuum order was placed. A rather small box, but from the driveway she could see a picture of a hose on the packaging.

She said "Is that the central vacuum unit?"

I was thinking to myself, should I run with this or not? Never one to miss an opportunity for a little fun, I replied "Yup".

"Wow, it so small!" I don't know how I kept a straight face. After twenty years she knows instantly when I'm pulling her leg, but I got her this time.

As we approached the porch, she grew skeptical, but still believed me when I said that's the unit.

Finally, I couldn't contain the grin and my cover was blown.

I'm still grinning. Perhaps a chuckle or two for good measure. No wonder she is the better half.

Matt Meiser
09-30-2009, 8:06 AM
For what it's worth, the Big Lots flyer in the newspaper this weekend showed a regular Dyson for $250, which is a pretty good deal. Don't know if it is everywhere.

It was here. We got one--thanks for the tip. Its "remanufactured" but I couldn't find any sign of it ever being used. Our last one was a Eureka, also remanufactured from Big Lots, that I got 9 years ago. It had something wrong, probably fixable, but it had gotten to where the only place you could find filters was at Lowes. And the lady who cleans our house told me last week that she just bough a bunch on clearance for herself because they are discontinued. The Dyson has no filter so that shouldn't be a problem this time.

Mitchell Andrus
09-30-2009, 10:01 AM

I installed one in our 1927 Craftsman. It's a snap if you have access to the underside of the first floor, and a wall on the second. The hose is 30'. With 2 connections on the first and 1 on the second, we're set.

It's not all that you might think though.... It's still just a vacuum, but with a really long hose. Don't like dragging a vac around? Try 30 feet of hose. You still need to carry accessories for different floors/carpets. The hose is taking it's toll on the corners and door jams too.

The motor has fried twice in 24 years (no-name brand) so it isn't a no-maintenance thing.

Jim Podsedly
09-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Dyson DC17. Worth every penny. Had it for 5 years now and still amazed at how much it sucks. :D