PDA

View Full Version : Deburring Wheel Help

jcumings
09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Going to finally break down and refinish a few hand planes, and need some advice on which deburring wheels to get.

I've looked at a ton of posts and did a google search; holy crap they're a lot of 3M wheels out there. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Also, should I get a wire and a deburring wheel, or two deburring wheels (course and fine)?

Thanks,

Jim

Mike Henderson
09-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I think I have a #7 fine deburring wheel. I bought it a long time ago so I don't remember exactly. Most have a large hole in the center (mine does) so I turned a spindle for it and I use it on my lathe. There's a shoulder at the back of the wheel on the spindle but you can't really see it.

I've used softer wheels, like a #2, and they worked fine for me, also.

They work really well to clean up accumulated dirt and rust but the purist feel those wheels are the work of the devil (that is, people who think all that accumulated grunge should be left on the plane).

The item you're working on will get quite hot when you clean it on the wheel. I usually have to do half at a time and let it cool in between.

Mike

[Make sure the wheel you get is at least 1" wide. The 1/2" wheels are too small.]

Derek Cohen
09-19-2009, 5:00 AM
Hi Jim

I prefer the soft wheels (#2) since these are more forgiving - they conform better to the shape presented to them, while the hard wheels will strip away the steel/iron until the item conforms to the shape of the wheel.

I have a #9. It is better suited to polishing hard steel, even stropping blades!

Regards from Perth

Derek

jcumings
09-19-2009, 8:48 PM
Thanks for info guys, I'll track one down and get started.

Jim