PDA

View Full Version : Help needed opening files

James Jaragosky
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I purchased some files from James Booth, and I have used them without any problems.
I also joined the 3dmodel club and have some of their files.
now I cannot use any of the files from either company. I get a certificate of trust error or a shell extension error.
Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?
How do I use my bought and paid for files without re-down loading them.
On a side note:
The whole copyright thing is getting out of hand. I made a DVD for my mother who lives in Washington State and I live in the Midwest and the Sony vhs to dvd burner I did the project on is from Japan.
Well my mom cannot watch her grandsons graduation on the DVD I made because she in the wrong zone. Go figure. My understanding is that the world is divided up into zones to prevent pirating. The only people stopped by these things are the honest people.
Anyway, any help will be appreciated.
Jim J.

Pat Germain
09-19-2009, 7:07 PM
What type of files are these, James? I might be able to help if I know the extension and what applications are supposed to open them.

As for the DVD issue, zones should be different only between continents and not states. If you burn a DVD, you must "finalize" it in order for regular players to access it. Until it's finalized, only a DVD recorder/writer can play it. Are you sure you finalized the DVD before you mailed it?

James Jaragosky
09-19-2009, 8:45 PM
What type of files are these, James? I might be able to help if I know the extension and what applications are supposed to open them.

As for the DVD issue, zones should be different only between continents and not states. If you burn a DVD, you must "finalize" it in order for regular players to access it. Until it's finalized, only a DVD recorder/writer can play it. Are you sure you finalized the DVD before you mailed it?
The files are stl files, that I use for 3d work on my CNC router. The thing is that they all worked back in July. I had not ran any of these files lately because cnc jobs have fell off, and work with the laser was picking up.
When I right click on the files and open properties, the two program choices I am given to open the files are Aspire or crypto shell extensions by Microsoft corporation. If I choose Aspire; I get failed to open message with no other details. If I use the shell extension; I get ( see attached Image)
Thanks for the help I got a lot of money tied up in these files.

Stephen Tashiro
09-20-2009, 1:55 AM
All I know about this topic is what Google tells me.
That is:
http://rapid.lpt.fi/rp-ml-2002/1123.html
http://rapid.lpt.fi/rp-ml-2002/1126.html

Pat Germain
09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry. I've never worked with STL files. Since you paid for the files, do you get any type of support?

Tony Mac
09-21-2009, 9:28 AM
Hello James,

I'm guessing the responses you received over the weekend on the Vectric Forum
have resolved this issue for you?

For reference - STL mesh files need to be Imported into an existing Aspire design,
they cannot just be opened directly.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-21-2009, 10:05 AM
The ZONES to which you refer are trade Zones.
They did not evolve for anti piracy though they may serve that purpose.
Everything is priced according to the Zone it's intended to be sold in.

The the Sneakers you pay $100.00 for in the US may sell for $03.00 in Namibia or some such.

I know a guy who used to do a brisk trade driving across trade zones (he lived in Albania) and purchasing Brand Name clothing items like jeans. He'd rent a car go and buy where the trade zone favored him then roll everything up tight a he possibly could, bundle it in his car packing it to the gills, and drive to where it was expensive and sell directly to the retailers.

Where CDs and DVDs are concerned, the Zones serve to prevent you from buying where it's cheap and playing where it's dear.

You can buy Zone Free CD & DVD players.

The zones are tremendously good for manufacturers and terrible for consumers. It feels like I'm taking a real hosing when I pay a hundred dollars for something that sells for a few dollars elsewhere.