PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for this saw?

Randall Clark
09-18-2009, 4:36 PM
There are several saws in the Detroit area that seem to be what I want. This one stands out, but I don't know what to offer. What would you offer for this saw?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/1340490491.html

David DeCristoforo
09-18-2009, 4:44 PM
I think $750 is a very fair price if it is in as good working condition as the ad indicates. You could offer less (maybe start at five) but I have the feeling that it will be sold before you ever even get to the phone....

Kyle Iwamoto
09-18-2009, 4:50 PM
I'd jump on that it I were in the market. It seems to have everything you'd need. Good fence, long rails, outfeed table. LOOKS to be in outstanding shape as he says.

Just my .02.

Jerome Hanby
09-18-2009, 4:56 PM
I agree, looks like a fair price and I bet it's already gone:eek:

Pete Bradley
09-18-2009, 5:19 PM
I see "is this a good deal" posts with craigslist ads regularly on SMC. This is pointless, due to the fact that there are only three possible answers:
1. yes it is. By the time you see an answer, it will be gone, perhaps bought by another SMC reader who saw your post.
2. No it's not, but it is still available!
3. You shouldn't be advertising your machine in this forum

Matt Stiegler
09-18-2009, 5:25 PM
I see "is this a good deal" posts with craigslist ads regularly on SMC. This is pointless, due to the fact that there are only three possible answers:
1. yes it is. By the time you see an answer, it will be gone, perhaps bought by another SMC reader who saw your post.

Pete, I wouldn't be surprised if the market for nice used woodworking equipment in the Detroit area may be less competitive than your post suggests.

Cary Falk
09-18-2009, 5:35 PM
If it is single phase it looks like a great deal to me.

William Nimmo
09-18-2009, 7:20 PM
I had an associate wanting me to make him new kitchen cabinets. I told him minimum of 12 grand for what he wanted. I showed him an advert on craigslist for a 2 year old kitchen being renovated, with all the old (beautiful) cabinets for 2500. He hemmed and hawed and did not know what to offer. I told him Pay the man and take the cabinets. He couldn't do that. Had to make an offer. Well its 2 years later and he kicks himself everyday.

Alan Schwabacher
09-18-2009, 8:05 PM
In your area I don't know, but around here the saw would be gone and the seller would not be answering his phone any more because he was tired of telling people the saw was gone.

Stephen Edwards
09-18-2009, 8:33 PM
Appears to me to be one of those rare CL finds where the asking price is plenty fair. In the past year I've bought two used machines, in literally brand new condition, from CL. The asking price in both cases was more than fair, considerably less than half price. I jumped on both of them. No dickering around. It was just a straightforward "I'll take it" and I'm on the way to pick it up.

If you want this saw, you should do the same, IMHO.

Randall Clark
09-18-2009, 9:15 PM
Am I the only one that noticed that it has been up there since August 24th? And for cynical Steve, there are 5 other similar saws in the Detroit area. Not a lot of extra money in this part of the country right now. I am asking for advice because I honestly don't know the worth of new saws or used saws or 1963 or something saws. Thanks for those who have been helpful.

Matt Day
09-18-2009, 9:22 PM
Again, assuming it's in good operating condition and 1 phase, I would buy that saw at that price in a heartbeat if I was in the market.

That being said, it is strange that it has been posted for almost a month. Either the seller hasn't taken it down and it's sold, or maybe there is something more to it than meets the eye, or maybe the market is different in your area and there are unisaws flooding the market?

At any rate, these are highly sought after very good machines. I'd love to have a Rockwell Unisaw.

Randall Clark
09-18-2009, 9:31 PM
It is a 1963 or something. Professionally painted 10 years ago. He is the second owner. It is a single phase, 220v.

(I meant cynical Pete, not Steve)

scott spencer
09-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Yep - $750 gets the buy signal if it checks out.

Cary Falk
09-18-2009, 10:06 PM
How does a add stay on Craig's list that long. Here they are automatically deleted after 1 week.

If it has been there that long, offer him $500. End up somewhere in between and take it home and enjoy.

johnny means
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I buy most of my equipment from industrial resale/auction sites and that is way to much for a saw that old. I seriously doubt the second owner paid much more than that price 15 years ago. Hell theres a good chance that he paid less than that 15 years ago. The sites I buy through typically have these saws selling for the price of a nice blade $200-$250.

That said if it performs just as well as a 10 year old saw, would you be happy using it?

Cary Falk
09-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I buy most of my equipment from industrial resale/auction sites and that is way to much for a saw that old. I seriously doubt the second owner paid much more than that price 15 years ago. Hell theres a good chance that he paid less than that 15 years ago. The sites I buy through typically have these saws selling for the price of a nice blade $200-$250.

That said if it performs just as well as a 10 year old saw, would you be happy using it?

Just like houses: Location, Location, Location.

David DeCristoforo
09-18-2009, 11:14 PM
"...I buy...these saws...for ...$200-$250..."

If you can buy "vintage" unisaws in good working condition for $200-$250, I would like to suggest that you buy as many as you can. Then have them all shipped to Earth where they will easily bring three times that much. Even with interplanetary shipping costs being what they are, you will still make money...

glenn bradley
09-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't miss the chance at a saw that seems to meet your needs at a fair price by dickering. I've heard from the "never pay the asking price" crowd but don't agree. Not everyone over inflates their asking price the way these folks probably do (and therefor think everyone else does too). Some folks just want a fair price for their object. I won't pay more than I think something is worth because, those price inflating folks are out there, no doubt. But, if the price is fair and its what I want, I'll buy it.

Bob Genovesi
09-19-2009, 6:53 AM
I think the question that begs to be asked is; Did you buy it??

scott spencer
09-19-2009, 7:20 AM

That's amazing! The fence is worth nearly $250, the motor is worth nearly that, etc. In the $250 range, I've seen lots of rust buckets, 3 phase motors, motorless saws, older style fences, etc., but few that fit this saw's description under $600, and most are closer to a grand (or higher). I might offer him less but I think $750 is a very fair price and would be happy to get it at that price....it'd sell quickly here.

Chris True
09-19-2009, 8:15 AM

So true, I've been looking for an old Dewalt RAS. Seen many ads for nice dewalts in the $60 - $85 range. Unless you see it the moment the thing is posted it's gone, I'm going to pick one up tomorrow (assuming no probs and it runs!) for $275 which is the asking price. Some would say that's too much, hell they sold for $229 when new in 195x :). But the previous 10 that sold for less than $100 before you even saw the ad weren't really options!

Stephen Edwards
09-19-2009, 9:30 AM
"...I buy...these saws...for ...$200-$250..."

If you can buy "vintage" unisaws in good working condition for $200-$250, I would like to suggest that you buy as many as you can. Then have them all shipped to Earth where they will easily bring three times that much. Even with interplanetary shipping costs being what they are, you will still make money...

Picking myself up off the floor! Too Funny!!:D

Michael Weber
09-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Last night I did a nationwide search of Craigslist using 'Crazedlist.org' for "Unisaw" Many listing found. Some were cheaper than the asking price of the one listed by the OP but for the most part were not as nice and came with original fence. Found many in the same price range. Some in the 750 range looked good with new fences and extended tables. Others had original fences and were not nearly as nice looking. There were a few in the 300 dollar range that were rough looking or 3 phase. Also many were listed in the 1000+ range. Given that, I'm guessing that 750 is a "fair to good" price if the saws appearance reflects it's condition. Anything less than that might be a gloat.

Stephen Edwards
09-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Oops.........posted in wrong thread!

Dave Cav
09-19-2009, 2:46 PM
I would say it's a good, but not great deal. I just bought one of those legandary $300 Unisaws. It's a 1949 model with the original repulsion/induction bullet motor, the dust door and the original fence and rails. The motor works fine and the original switch is intact and works and it has a decent carbide blade. I could spend an hour cleaning up the top and start using it today, but it really does need a complete stripdown and repaint. I will replace the motor and arbor bearings, which will come to considerably less than $100, and probably the belts, which will again probably not break the bank. I will also be replacing the rails with nicer used rails, as the originals are rusty and the rear is bent. When it's finished I will have about $550 in it, and use it to replace a perfectly good six or seven year old Grizzly 10" cabinet saw, which I expect I will be able to get no more than $300-400 for.

If I was in the market for a Uni and saw the machine that is the topic of this thread I would offer $500 for it and be prepared to pay up to about $650 for it, unless I REALLY wanted the saw. Any saw that's 30-odd years old is going to be a gamble despite the possibly pristine appearence. Bearings don't last forever, and 30 years is at the far end of what you can expect from a set of motor and arbor bearings even in a lightly used saw.

Randall Clark
09-19-2009, 6:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I will probably offer him $500.00, provided that everything is as he has portrayed the saw to be. It is really all that I have for this machine. I will let you know