PDA

View Full Version : Dw 735 chip collection

Russ Abbott
09-18-2009, 3:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first post.

I have a question of owners of the Dewalt DW 735 planer re: Chip collection? I do not have a DC system only small Shop Vac type vacuums. I have put together a chip seperator using a Rubbermaid "Brute" garbage can and lid. I have a 6" flexible hose from the Planer to the edge of the lid of the garbage can, once it goes thru the lid, I have attached a 90" elbow to cause the chips to circulate and fall to the bottom of the garbage can. Once I start the planer, the force of the chip "extractor" on the Planer causes the lid to lift at the edge and allow chips to fly out. I have read probably every post on the Creek I can find and elsewhere about this issue. So here is my question, how do I collect the chips into a container using the force of the "chip extractor" only and not use a DC or a Vacuum? It seems to me that the machine is designed to not need a supplementarty system. One of the reviews I have read says the accessory hose and can cover attachment from Dewalt do not work very well, so that option does not appeal to me.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Dan Bowman
09-18-2009, 3:28 PM
I got tired of emptying out my dust collector bag and now just run the 4" hose out the door and let the chips fall where they may.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-18-2009, 3:37 PM
I got tired of emptying out my dust collector bag and now just run the 4" hose out the door and let the chips fall where they may.

This is always an option.

I have the 735, and I connected it to my Delta 50-760 DC. I usually never even have to turn on the DC though, because the 735 is strong enough to ejejct all the chips and even (mostly) "inflate" the bag on the DC. So you don't need a DC, but what you do need is a big filter in order to "catch" everything that is thrown out by the 735. Maybe you could pick up a felt bag for a DC and build your own "DC" that only works as a collector for the 735.

Or - you could remove the ejector fan from the 735. I thought I saw a post here about it somewhere, although I can't find it at the moment. The idea is that if your vac is strong enough, then you really don't need the 735 to throw the chips "down the throat" of the vac...

Rob Wright
09-18-2009, 3:41 PM
Russ -

use one of these http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/attachment_detail.asp?productID=6360
http://www.dewalt.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/ATTACHMENTS/LARGE/7/DW7353_1.jpg

It uses the fan from the planer to push the chips into a garbage can - the mesh of the bag breathes. I had the same problem pushing off the trash can cyclone top off of the can from the force of the blower!

Joe Scharle
09-18-2009, 3:44 PM
That's OK for you Dan....You've got plenty of woods behind your air conditioned shop!
But to address the Q. I've got the fabric can cover and yes, it is a hassel. However, recently I experimented with my 'Phil Thein' setup. By leaving the vac hose off, I let the planner run into the can. Chips stay in the can, but there is fine dust coming from the vac port. Next time I use the planner, I plan to adapt some kind of household vacuum bag to the port and see if that works.

Myk Rian
09-18-2009, 4:45 PM
I use a separator on a 5 gallon bucket like you do. I hold the top on with a bungee cord wrapped over the top and hooked to the bottom of the can. Lid doesn't come off now.

David Christopher
09-18-2009, 4:48 PM
BTW welcome to the creek