PDA

View Full Version : mortiser challenges

Rick Humm
09-18-2009, 2:09 PM
I've acquired a mortising machine (bench top) and have exhausted my knowledge already. I find I am able to cut mortises in side and end grain, but when I tackle face grain, the arbor bores fine, but the chisel doesn't cut - what am I doing wrong?

Tom Hintz
09-18-2009, 2:16 PM
I have had to sharpen every chisel I have gotten before it would cut right. Often that was just honing the outsdie edget o smooth it out but that helped a bunch.
Also, setting the right gap between the auger and chisel is very important, especially in softer woods that want to bend and crush under the forces. I guess they make bigger chips or something but having the right clearance helps it cut better. I have a story on setting the gap at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html

Lee Schierer
09-18-2009, 2:18 PM
I did the same thing. I used a glass plate and various grades of sandpaper to get a mirror like finish on the outside of my chisels, it made a world of difference using them.

Matt Day
09-18-2009, 2:20 PM
Make sure the mortiser is tuned up properly (chisel sharp, bit at the correct height, etc).

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Hollow+Mortise+Chisel+Tuneup.aspx
FineWoodworking has a few good articles too.

Also search around this site.

Good luck!

glenn bradley
09-18-2009, 2:21 PM
Chisel quality and sharpness seem to make or break a mortiser. Offset of bit to chisel is on there but sharpness seems to be the first step.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-18-2009, 2:33 PM
I did the same thing. I used a glass plate and various grades of sandpaper to get a mirror like finish on the outside of my chisels, it made a world of difference using them.

same here - made a huge difference.

Mike Heidrick
09-18-2009, 4:19 PM
I bought the set of sharpening cones for sharpeining hollow chisels from Lee Valley. Check them out. Rockler also has a set for smaller chisels.

Rick Humm
09-18-2009, 4:22 PM
thanks - will get after sharpening - shouldaknown
thanks esp for web references for the setup and maintenance and sharpening pages

Jeff Willard
09-19-2009, 4:25 PM
In your avatar, a flying pig :eek:? Or, whatizzit?

Rick Humm
09-21-2009, 7:03 PM
flying pig - it's that time