PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get 6" blast gates.

jason lambert
09-18-2009, 12:16 PM
My local supplier only had a few gates I need more where are some nice/cheap ones I can order on the internet.

Jim O'Dell
09-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm sure you can find them at Peachtree, Lee Valley, etc. I made my own out of melamine shelving and 1/4" MDF for the slide. I was able to size them to fit the pipe tightly without screws or glue, and they are self cleaning. A little ingenuity and a router is all it took. They aren't especially pretty, but very functional. Jim.

Chip Peterson
09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I've used these folks before. They did a good job for me.

http://www.blastgateco.com/

Sam Layton
09-18-2009, 1:04 PM
Hi Jason,

I got all of my blast gates at Mc Master-Carr. They have both pvc and aluminum blast gates.

Sam

jason lambert
09-18-2009, 6:54 PM
Is it worth it to get the self cleaning? I don't care about the cost they just take more room since you have a slide on the back.

Ed Moehlenpah
09-18-2009, 6:59 PM
I got mine from oneida air.

John Keeton
09-18-2009, 7:22 PM
Is it worth it to get the self cleaning? I don't care about the cost they just take more room since you have a slide on the back.I have the self cleaning and can't compare, but they seem to be worth the difference to me. And, I have used Lee Valley and blastgateco.com and I think they are the same product or very nearly.

Sam Layton
09-18-2009, 11:04 PM
I like the self cleaning. I don't have any others to compare with as well. They do take up a little more room. In my application that was not a concern.

Sam

glenn bradley
09-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I have HAD the ones that don't self clean. Any of them that I couldn't convert are gone. What a waste of time digging that compressed sawdust out of those corners. The metal ones I have do not have the extra long slider. They are just open so that the gate pushes any dust out the slot when closed. I modified most of my plastic ones to do this as well.

David Hostetler
09-19-2009, 1:08 AM
I have the self cleaners from Lee Valley in 4" with no troubles. Not sure if there is a cost difference between LV and Blastgateco, but I know LV gates work exceedingly well...

Chris Damm
09-19-2009, 9:14 AM
Kencraft
http://www.kencraftstore.com/Cast_Aluminum_Blast_Gates.htm

Jim Becker
09-19-2009, 9:42 PM
Make your own. The number ONE thing I would change in my entire dust collection setup is eschewing the purchased metal gates for shop-built to get rid of the hit you take in diameter due to thickness of the gate material and the lack of precision in the fit of the gate to the housing.

joe milana
09-20-2009, 12:15 AM
+1 on making your own. There are several posts on how to. Clearview makes a blastgate that fits OVER 6" SDR but they are something like $25 ea. That adds up!

Denny Rice
09-20-2009, 1:50 AM
I agree with Jim! Build your own, the ones you build will be 10 times more efficient than anything you can buy. My shop has 6" blast gates and they work great. Here is a design I found on the internet.

jason lambert
09-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I would love to build my own, however with a new born in the house and a new house and workshop I have almost no time. Money is also not a big concern so if I can buy something at this point in the game I usally do it just saves me time. I rathor spend time doing the things I like and being creative. I'm this attitude will change soon but for now I rathor just ge tthe dust collection system up and going. Thanks for all the input I will order 8 self cleaning gates from blastgates tommrow.

jason lambert
09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
So I just ordered from blastgate besides having great prices on blast gates they where able to supply 24 guage y-tee for about $20 ish dollars ea. They don't stock them, they have them made on demand, waiting time is a week but it is by far the best price I found and I was able to order them 6" through with 5" on the drop saving me the cost of reducers. Everyone else wanted at least double for these.

They don't list them on there site you need to ask.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, andther great piece of advice from sawmillcreek.