PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Boyer Clocks

Daniel Muller
09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
This may be pushing it because of the time involved, but I am about to open up a store front and I have been building up my collection of lasered pieces for display. I know there have been people who have done boyer clocks and they came out fantastic. Is anyone willing to share the corel files of the clock. If not I understand completely but I thought this would be something pretty cool to have in the shop.
Thanks Dan

Allen Isakson
09-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Daniel,
clayton boyer clocks are cool...however they do not provide clock plans in electronic form. It is all paper patterns. Alot of the pieces are to large for normal scanning. Good luck in finding some already converted.

Allen

Marc Myer
09-22-2009, 4:52 PM
I built one, or rather, haven't quite finished it yet, but they are well-designed.
I purchased my plans from Clayton via his website. The plans are sold in paper form to discourage people from sharing them, I would assume.

I scanned and converted my paper plans to vectors, but it wasn't quick. It was great, however, to do some further customization of gears, etc.

The only drawback to using a laser to make clock gears is that in order to have a true 1/2" thickess, I had to make 1/4" pieces and stack them. This allows for cool gear patterns, as you can stagger the layers. But the cut profile does vary from top to bottom, which affects the gear profile.

My only question is whether the brown lasered edge of the gears creates more friction, which affects the clock's ability to run smoothly. I can't quite be sure yet, until I can find time to finsh the clock :)

Clayton's a great guy to deal with, and his plans are reasonably priced. They're worth every penny.

Duane Parcells
09-22-2009, 6:16 PM
I have the files in cdr for Gary's clock reworked for laser cutting. Mine is done with the exception of the steel weight that fills the pendulum. I'll have to finish that someday. This is the old thread......http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78383&highlight=Gary%27s+clock (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78383&highlight=Gary%27s+clock)

I can dig the files out if they are wanted. I don't think Gary ever put his site back up. More lathe work than laser. The spindles the gears turn on are where you have to match the precision of the laser with lathe skills. Be prepared to make some of them more than once. Fun project, draws a lot of attention for some reason. Wooden gears?
Duane

art baylor
09-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I built a clock kit that was obviously laser cut, from baltic birch plywood. The gear teeth had to be lightly sanded, per the instructions, to smooth out the movement. Somewhat time consuming but not too bad. The gears were 1/4". Art