PDA

View Full Version : How to get 2/4?

Mike Palmowski
09-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Good morning, as some might know Im setting up for a new shop and I have started to build my new router cabinet. In the past I have used birch plywood with a locking dado for the drawers. This time I want to use my new dovetail machine, but need some 1/2" stock. It seems like a waste to plane down good 4/4 for this purpose, but is that how most people go about this?

Rob Cunningham
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
You could buy 6/4 material and resaw it if you have a bandsaw with enough height capacity.

Jerome Hanby
If you have a bandsaw and can get 5/4 or 6/4 stock at a reasonable price, you can resaw it in half then plane it a little to clean it up. I guess if you have a use for some thin stock, you could do the same with the 4/4 stock.

That's about the only time I resaw (so far). I just hate to turn all that lumber into shavings.

Brian Kent
Resaw, whether on your own bandsaw or on a fellow woodworker's saw.

Paul Steiner
09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
You can resaw down to 5/8" or 9/16" if you have the right setup. I feel your pain on lumber conservation. If you have a good bandsaw that can resaw I would take the stock down and plane to 1/2". You may want to rip the stock to the widths you need for your project, this will make for easier resawing. The scrap you will be left with will be about 3/8" good for lots of different projects, better than a pile of sawdust.

Mike Palmowski
09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
this is what I thought, thanks for all the good ideas, since I have a lot of 4/4 that is measuring less then 7/8" I guess I will plane away untill I buy that new Grizzly bandsaw.:cool: