PDA

View Full Version : 360 Degree Ball Bearing Exploded

Matt Walton
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure that that is what it is really called, but they are the things that you might find on an outfeed roller stand. Anyways, I need to find an exploded view of one.
The story:
In my robotics group (I'm 14), we are trying to make casters. so I said "Why not use a 360 degree ball bearing instead of a caster?" they decided that that would be a good idea if we could pull it off. The problem is that each team is allotted the same exact kit, and there is a very short list of extra things not in the kit that are allowed, and one of those things is golf balls (I knew that before I came up with the idea). So it was agreed that if we could pull it off it would work great. So I need to make a prototype of one, and in order to do that I need to see how one of those things work, and if need be, I might cut one open, but it would be easier and cheaper if I could find an exploded diagram of one already opened up to see how to make one myself.

"Tim Quinn"
09-18-2009, 1:22 AM
Is this (http://www.gilmorekramer.com/more_info/ball_transfers_flange_mounted/ball_transfers_flange_mounted.shtml) what you are referring to?

ROY DICK
09-18-2009, 8:02 AM
Matt,

Great undertaking and good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Tim nice find and very helpful sir.

Roy

kenmiller saas
09-18-2009, 8:48 AM
Which services you are offering?

Paul Atkins
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Golf ball have dimples which seems like to me would not roll very well with smaller bearings holding it.

Edwood Ferrari
09-18-2009, 1:24 PM
If your are looking to build a tiny ball caster for a robot:

http://www.solarbotics.net/starting/200209_ballcasters/200209_ballcasters.html

I also don't think a golf ball would be a good solution due to the dimples. You would be better off with a hard rubber ball you might find as a dog chew toy. You might also try some soft air hard BB's for bearings.

Good luck and update us on your progress

Matt Walton
09-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Well, we would use a ball caster right off the shelf if we could, but we are not allowed to do that. Maybe I will try filling in the dimples with epoxy. Another problem is we will have a very small number of ball bearings, maybe 5 or so, but I will have more details after tomorrow, when we get the kit. This is my first time to do BEST robotics (BEST stands for Boosting Engineering, Science, and Technology), so I have barely any idea on what to expect.

glenn bradley
09-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Good luck Matt. Give it all you got.

Matt Walton
09-19-2009, 4:27 PM
OK, I just got home from the BEST kickoff, and the only thing remotely like I need is a lazy Susan base. I guess we will just have to stick with a normal caster.