PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.

Kevin Swindle
09-16-2004, 8:08 AM
I am making the attached post for my front porch and wondered if it would be OK to use 1/4" MDF for the inset panels on the lower portion. I plan on priming and painting the all surfaces of the panels before assembly. The rest of the post is made of cypress. What do the experts think? :)

Jim Becker
09-16-2004, 8:30 AM
MDF is not recommended for outdoor use or for anywhere that water/excessive moisture is present. Painting it will not stop water or moisture. There is a form of MDF called "Medex" which is specifically made for outdoor applications, but it's not "commonly available" at the corner store. You might consider MDO plywood, which while not on the shelf at the home center is usually orderable at the contractor desk. This is exterior plywood covered with a paper-like surface. Many sign makers use it and it paints extremely well.

Kevin Swindle
09-16-2004, 8:48 AM
MDF is not recommended for outdoor use or for anywhere that water/excessive moisture is present. Painting it will not stop water or moisture. There is a form of MDF called "Medex" which is specifically made for outdoor applications, but it's not "commonly available" at the corner store. You might consider MDO plywood, which while not on the shelf at the home center is usually orderable at the contractor desk. This is exterior plywood covered with a paper-like surface. Many sign makers use it and it paints extremely well.

Thanks Jim. That was my thought also, I just wanted to confirm. I thought it would make things easier if I could use it. I guess I will try to find some MDO ply.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2004, 8:50 AM
Kevin....while I couldn't find MDO at the local Borg.....my local lumberyard carries it in stock! You might try a local supplier.

Kevin Swindle
09-16-2004, 9:04 AM
Kevin....while I couldn't find MDO at the local Borg.....my local lumberyard carries it in stock! You might try a local supplier.

Ken, I have a plywood supplier near my house that will probably have in stock.

Thanks.

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 2:44 PM
Kevin,

Why not make the whole thing out of cypress? Cost? Size? Time? Just curious.

Kevin Swindle
09-17-2004, 9:03 AM
Kevin,

Why not make the whole thing out of cypress? Cost? Size? Time? Just curious.

Chris,

Everything is cypress except for the recessed panels. The rails and stiles in the lower portion are cypress and I used 3/8" MDO ply for the panels just so I didn't have to plane cypress to fit the grooves in the rails and stiles.

Thanks,