PDA

View Full Version : Corel - Copy about a point

Randy Digby
09-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I have a circular object with a shape I have designed and want to replicate around the perimeter of the circle. The object is 5 degrees in size. How can I copy the shape around the perimeter every 5 degrees, pivoting on the center of the circle?

AL Ursich
09-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I remember watching Roy do it on his GREAT CD...... But to do it now.... Time to find the CD....

AL

Garrett Nors
09-17-2009, 11:23 PM
There's a gasket tutorial floating around. That should do the trick with slight modification.

Randy Digby
09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks Garrett...I'll go look for it.

Randy Digby
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
That will not work for me. My object to be replicated is an odd shape and must always point to the center of the circle. The gasket deal is good but just locates the center points for the circles. Thanks.

Joseph B. Chritz
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Arrange Transformations Rotate

Put in the angle you want to rotate
Center: H is x value of center
V is y value of center

Click on Apply to duplicate for each rotation

Peter Meacham
09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Randy

Search Youtube for Corel Draw + Clock for several tutorials on what you want to do.

Pete

Randy Digby
09-17-2009, 11:32 PM
That's working Joe...Thanks.

Scott Challoner
09-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I use Joe's method as well which is a bit tedious if you are making a lot of copies. I wish it was as easy as doing a polar array in AutoCAD. Just a few clicks of the mouse. Maybe in X6.

Randy Digby
09-18-2009, 10:39 AM
It wasn't that bad. I was copying every 3.75 degrees, so after I had five copies, I captured all five and reset my angle to 18.75 degrees. The entire process only took a minute or so. Of course, you could reset after 10, 20 or more copies if you had many replications to do.

Aaron Koehl
09-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I created a Radial Array tool some months back for something I was working on, but never got around to posting it. There are similar tools floating around the Internet, but I wrote one anyway because I can customize it, and it was a nice little trig exercise.

1. Select the object you want to be duplicated.
In this case I've created a simple arrow.

2. Click "Create"
For parameters, you enter the number of times you want the object duplicated, and the radius of the circle of objects being created.

Enter 12 for a clock face, for instance. The radius here is the distance from the object to the duplicated object, center to center.

Optional

To orient objects toward a center point, check the [X] Rotate box.

For a clock face, for instance, you would want the tick marks oriented toward the center of the clock.

The rotation angle on your object will determine it's orientation as it is being duplicated.

Unmodified (0 degrees)

90 Degrees

180 Degrees

270 Degrees

Start Angle

The script by default starts at 3 o'clock and runs counter-clockwise (0 to 2 pi radians). Here I've started the green arrows at an offset of 15 degrees.

For convenience, all of the duplicated objects are grouped into a single group. Also, the entire operation can be undone with a single undo operation, so you can experiment.

This has only been tested with Corel X4.

Installation: Unzip the file into your CorelDraw GMS folder, usually something like c:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4\Draw\GMS. Then run the Macro entitled "RadialArrayScript.showRadialArray". You can attach that macro to a tool button if it pleases you.

Enjoy.

Scott Erwin
09-18-2009, 3:56 PM
Thank you Aaron...This is a really cool idea. I did it the old fashioned way, drew a circle, found the location and manually lined it up the best I could.

Now it works with a couple of clicks.

Thanks

Scott Challoner
09-18-2009, 4:39 PM
Doesn't seem to work in X3, but thanks anyway.:( It just places copies of the object on top of the original.
How do you attach a macro to a tool button?

Jeanette Brewer
09-18-2009, 4:42 PM
Roy's article "Circle of Objects" article can be found on page 3 of this newsletter...

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/Newsletters/PPV7N4.pdf

Aaron Koehl
09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Doesn't seem to work in X3, but thanks anyway.:( It just places copies of the object on top of the original.
How do you attach a macro to a tool button?

There's a lot of functionality added in X4 (from a programmer's perspective) that isn't in X3. Usually, I write "wrappers" around functions that aren't available in Corel X3 or 12, for code I intend to distribute. If I get a chance, I'll do that for the RadialArray tool.

Scott M Smith
09-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Very nice, Aaron!

Scott Challoner
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
There's a lot of functionality added in X4 (from a programmer's perspective) that isn't in X3. Usually, I write "wrappers" around functions that aren't available in Corel X3 or 12, for code I intend to distribute. If I get a chance, I'll do that for the RadialArray tool.

That would be great Aaron. Thanks.