PDA

View Full Version : Drill Chuck for a Shopsmith

richard poitras
09-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I just scored on a 1980’s shopsmith for great price $100.00 (Gloat) with some accessories including the jointer/ planer attachment. But it doesn’t have the drill chuck, does anyone have one around that they would like to sell? If so let me know or the best place to buy one that would work on it.

Thanks Richard

Matt Ranum
09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Most economical place for parts is usually ebay. I wish I could have that kind of deal last year before I bought my old 10er shopsmith. I have bought parts on ebay for my old one and there is always a bunch of drill chucks on there, just type in "shopsmith" in the search bar.

richard poitras
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM
The bad part is I don’t have a account on E-bay and have never gotten into E-bay..
Richard

Dave Lehnert
09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I would just get one from Shopsmith.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/dr_chuck.htm

Check out the owners site for deals.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/index.htm

Jerome Hanby
09-18-2009, 8:11 AM
Three lever handle is also a good addition (for drill press mode, seems to get in my way other times).

Colin Wollerman
09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I set up an ebay account to get a couple parts for my vintage SS
It is worth it.
If you have a problem, grab the first kid that walks by...:D

Unrelated but; I upgraded to a link belt on my SS and it works great. Smooth. 35 links

Jerome Hanby
09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Unrelated but; I upgraded to a link belt on my SS and it works great. Smooth. 35 links

Very cool, which model SS did you upgrade?

Kyle Iwamoto
09-18-2009, 1:11 PM
I'd go E-bay. It's pretty cool. Got lots of SS parts. I just recently got 2 lathe faceplates for 20 bucks shipped to my door.... Lots of parts. It doesn't cost anyting to register. Be careful though, it gets addictive.... You can find almost anything. I just did a search there are 7 on there right now.

Oh, great score on the SS. Be aware that there are a lot of SS bashers everywhere.

Colin Wollerman
09-18-2009, 8:26 PM
Very cool, which model SS did you upgrade?

early 50s Mark V. I did not do a show piece restoration just wanted it to work good and look half way decent.
Pretty happy so far altho I have not put too many hours on it. I do not like, nor will I use it as a TS but I like the drill press, horz drill, disc sander and I am learning to turn on it. I would like to get a little more creative...
Time will tell
C

richard poitras
09-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd go E-bay. It's pretty cool. Got lots of SS parts. I just recently got 2 lathe faceplates for 20 bucks shipped to my door.... Lots of parts. It doesn't cost anyting to register. Be careful though, it gets addictive.... You can find almost anything. I just did a search there are 7 on there right now.

Oh, great score on the SS. Be aware that there are a lot of SS bashers everywhere.

I am aware of the SS bashers but I know what I bought I used to have one 32 years ago. Basically I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted it for the variable speed drill press capabilities and sanding disk. I currently have a complete shop of tools so I will be selling the SS jointer/planer that came with it when I get a chance. They do have drawbacks but they also have some really cool futures depending were you are at in your woodworking needs, budget, space and level of work you do.

Maybe it’s time to join e-bay :)

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2009, 3:33 PM
early 50s Mark V. I did not do a show piece restoration just wanted it to work good and look half way decent.
Pretty happy so far altho I have not put too many hours on it. I do not like, nor will I use it as a TS but I like the drill press, horz drill, disc sander and I am learning to turn on it. I would like to get a little more creative...
Time will tell
C

Sounds about identical to me. I don't use the TS mode, but use all the other modes all the time and have attachments for Bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, and lathe duplicator. In the wings I have a project to build a drum sander that the Mk V will power. Going off of Nick Engler's basic design, but making it a little wider and may add a gear motor and conveyor system to to make it self feeding.

I'm due some day soon to crack my headstock open for a good cleaning, lubing, and general inspection, I may try your link belt idea, seems like Ii may have about that much left over from changing my TS over to a link belt.