PDA

View Full Version : My Brese 650 Smoother

Marco Cecala
09-17-2009, 9:50 PM
I thought I would post some photos of my just completed Brese 650 Smoother. I usually don't go in for excess with my tools and fixtures. I'm the guy with mis-matched doors on mdf shop cabinets. When I saw the great work done by Ron Brese I wanted to try and do it justice.

The infill is ebony. The plane is inlaid with abalone, white, pink, and gold mother of pearl, and brass.

I included some photos of the build, and am happy to expand on the process or answer questions if desired.

And the best part, some .001 shavings from gnarly cherry. The plane cut perfectly regardless of grain direction.

Thanks for the great work Ron, I'm already saving for another one of your planes.

jerry nazard
09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Luscious. Bravo!!

Brian Kent
09-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Astounding work - Ron and Marco both.

Now I think you left out the note between picture 3 and picture 4, "And then a miracle occurred!"

Yes, a little more process info on your inlays would be really enjoyable.

Brian

Ted Calver
09-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Absolutely beautiful!! How long did it take and how difficult is the process?

Jim Koepke
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Beautiful. I would also enjoy more on the inlay process or any other part of the build you care to enjoy.

Maybe I should check with Ron Brese to see how much needs to be saved for me to build one of these little beauties.

jim

Jacob Mac
09-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Gorgeous. I would like to know more about the inlay too.

Doug Shepard
09-18-2009, 6:17 AM
...The plane cut perfectly regardless of grain direction.....

That's a problem with all those Brese planes. They just give you no indication of which way the grain is running.:D

Awesome job on the plane and inlay.

Dominic Greco
09-18-2009, 7:49 AM
Holy cow that looks beautiful! Molto bello!! Bellisimo!

it looks as fantastic as it works

Well done! Well done indeed!

Ron Brese
09-18-2009, 9:39 AM
Well Done Marco!!! I like your choice of inlays and the installation looks to be top notch. I had thought the abalone would like nice set in ebony and your plane proves it to be so. Thanks for posting your results. Very impressive.

Enjoy your plane,

Ron Brese

Marco Cecala
09-21-2009, 8:31 PM
There has been some interest in the inlay process for the plane. Here is my method.

Create multiple drawings of the correct size. Cut out the pieces and number them if there are more than a few. When cutting the paper, bisect the line so the pieces will fit well after cutting.
Using thin super glue, attach them to the material for each piece. Cut them with a jewelers saw to the line. The pieces can be touched up with a file. With a little practice you can cut smoothly, be sure to keep the blade vertical. Think scroll saw.
Glue the inlay pieces to the substrate and scribe the perimeter with a scalpel or knife, rub chalk dust in the scribe line. Rout the inlay with a mini router, I got my base from William Ng Woodworks. It holds a Foredom flex shaft hand piece and is made very well.
Fit the inlay and super glue it to the substrate. After drying, sand off the paper and flatten the surface.

John Lytle
09-22-2009, 9:13 AM
Wow !!!

Another great example of how Ron's planes come to life. This is a wonderful piece of work, and as someone else commented, the make it impossible to tell which way the grain is going.

Again, great job, and thanks for sharing.

John

Eddie Darby
09-22-2009, 3:02 PM
That's a problem with all those Brese planes. They just give you no indication of which way the grain is running.:D

Awesome job on the plane and inlay.

I'll double that !!!!